Chapter 29

When a person is confronted with the call for actual warfare, there is a unique bond that comrades share.

A bond that is built upon loyalty and trust, the ingredients that define survival.

In the instant that they had been confronted by the shooter, both agents knew that they should've centered their shots on the target.

Wainwright stood. Price faltered.

Wainwright put a bullet into the target.

Price dove for cover in that nanosecond that would have meant the difference between the life or death of a companion.

And when he took a peek from the floor, Wainwright was down, and the shooter was stumbling back through the stock room doorway.

As Wainwright lay dying, with blood spurting through his fingers, agent Price felt the guilt of a coward.

He was powerless to recalibrate that moment in which he saw his life flash before him, and he abandoned his duty, but he was sick to his stomach as a result.

Driven to redeem himself, Anthony Price ran after the man dressed as the Grim Reaper, prepared to kill him.

The bark of gunfire leads him to the path taken by the shooter. He ran through the corridor, with his pistol before him, prepared to confront the Grim Reaper again...

He was eager to restore his valor and courage.

By the time he burst through the automated doors of the emergency room, the shooter was on the move to his vehicle. He wanted to take a shot but decided to take a break from his unmarked car.

When he swerved from the lot, he spotted the Tundra making a hard left from the block.

The three cops were in pursuit as he veered into traffic.

Special agent Anthony Price decided at that point, that he would do whatever was necessary, to capture the Grim Reaper...

The screech of tires and engine acceleration rent the air like a quarter-mile drag racer, on his first spin-off of the scrimmage. The V8 growled and hit 0-to-60 in under sixty. His pistol lay across his lap, ready to get active.

Car horns could be heard from about the street, as the chase veered throughout several clusters of traffic.

In the height of the chase, the Tundra tried to make a sharp turn onto Duvall street and slid up on the curb.

It flipped sideways and spun into the concrete bench used for passengers, waiting to be picked up from the bus stop. The screech of metal upon concrete collision rent the air, with a boom of sound that rippled through the darkness beyond the intersection.

The police cruisers swerved around the overturned vehicle, ready to arrest the suspect driving.

Kirkwood Kenny came to consciousness as special agent Anthony Price was dragging him from the vehicle.

His vision focused and agent Price slapped his pistol across his head.

The shockwave of pain made him cry out.

When the second blow crushed a hole through his teeth, Kenny was pleading to stop the punishment.

Glass shards covered Kenny's torso and outlined his body. His face was covered in blood, with the open gash above his lip that was pouring blood from the cavity.

His teeth were moving about his mouth like rocks in JellO.

"Where is your other partner?" Special agent Price asked with his hand-drawn back, to let him know that if he didn't cooperate, he would continue to crush his skull in.

"I shot him at the hospital."Kenny cried in a plea for mercy.

In that instant, Kirkwood Kenny became the enemy that he had been so driven to terminate. The snitch...