Chapter 17

Within that mysterious realm in which murder and mayhem prove to be a potent motivator for a man to pursue an enemy's location, there's no limit to the things that he would do to accomplish his objective.

If money is available to shop for favors, from people that would not normally give more than a minute of their time or attention, thousands could be spent to purchase whatever information was needed.

And Kirkwood Kenny was prepared to pass around twenty thousand, if necessary...

He wanted Swaylo dead before he left the city.

It did not take Kenny long to find someone, that would lead him to Swaylo's doorstep.

Karen Carmichael did not have a clue about the reason in which Kenny was searching for Swaylo, but for the thousand dollars that he had offered, she was prepared to hand-deliver his ass straight to Kenny's apartment.

"Are you sure that you know where this kid lives, Karen?"

''I'm telling you," she insisted with a suck of her teeth as if the question was too ridiculous to take seriously.

"His grandmother lives off of Alston... Two buildings down from my girl, Cynthia"

There was a pregnant pause.

"Okay. I tell you what... Meet me up at the MacDonald's off of Memorial Drive in ten minutes. I'll bring your money with me when I come, but I'm not giving it all to you until I confirm that that's where he lives at. Deal?"

"Bet that up. I'm telling you, he lives there..."

When he hung up the telephone, Kenny took in a thorough survey of Shonda's apartment.

It was only a matter of time before the FEDS visited it, he reasoned.

He needed to get his belongings out of there before they showed up...

That, he thought, would allow him a plausible excuse to refute whatever Shonda's brother Broderick might say.

As he scrambled to remove every item he possessed from Shonda's apartment, and load it into his car, Kirkwood Kenny never even paused to grieve the death of D-Money.

This was his moment to elevate beyond the box of his city, and he did not plan on blowing it.

He was shrewd, ruthless, and determined.

He knew that federal investigators were out there at that moment, searching for clues that would lead to the capture of the bandits responsible for the bank heist.

And he did not plan on getting snared in their net of suspects.

After careful consideration, Kenny decided that it was best to leave D-Money in Shonda's apartment until dark; to prevent the risk of having some nosey neighbor spot him carrying the body to the car, and call the cops.

Or risk getting caught up in a roadblock, and have the cops find him in possession of D-Money's dead body.

Moving with extreme awareness of his surroundings, Kirkwood Kenny carried the two duffle bags to his car and met up with Karen Carmichael at the agreed-upon location.

She was parked and waiting when he got there.

He could see her sipping on a soda and munching on a Big Mac.

Her gaze locked on him as soon as she spotted his car turn into the lot.

He stepped out with a broad smile etched upon his face.

"What's up lil momma, you did not waste any time pulling up, huh?"

He asked, leaning into the driver's side window.