Chapter 14

After a brief spate of motions submitted to the court by opposing counsel, the closing arguments were made, and the jury was given the case to render its verdict.

The jury stayed in deliberation for less than an hour before returning to the courtroom.

When they were seated and the judge presiding over the case had entered the courtroom, everyone knew that it was a slim possibility that the jury had determined anything other than a decision of guilt.

"Has the jury reached its verdict?" asked judge Wilkinson.

The jury Foreman rose from his seat, with a somber expression etched upon his face.

"Yes, Your Honor. The verdict was unanimous."

"What say you..."

"We the people of the jury, find the defendant Robert Baker guilty as charged; on all counts of the indictment."

The courtroom erupted in a burst of applause.

When Brad Riner gathered up his briefcase and other belongings, he walked from the courtroom, only to be bombarded by a group of jostling journalists.

As the group began to surround him, the reporters were hurling questions at him, like a farmer tossing corn in a chicken coup.

Brad knew that there was a good possibility that his words would be recorded for a sound-bite on the evening news broadcast.

He straightened his tie and smiled for the cameras.

"Nice work in there, counselor- How do you feel after having won such a high-profile case?"

Asked a cute brunette reporter, name Melanie Marcus.

Her pale blue eyes appeared to smile at him, with an unspoken look of familiarity.

Brad paused before her.

"It's always a wonderful feeling to get some scum like Robert Baker off of the streets of this great city."

"With the type of performance that you displayed for the citizens of this community, do you think that there is a possibility that you could prosecute the bandits that robbed the Kennesaw Bank and Trust this morning?"

Brad Riner gave a flattering smile before replying.

"I'm flattered by your confidence, but I'm sure that you're aware of the fact that Kennesaw is beyond my jurisdiction."

Even as he spoke the words, it occurred to him that Melanie Marcus was not just posing a random question.

She and his twin brother Chad had been an item a couple of years prior, and she knew that he was employed at the Kennesaw Bank and Trust.

A sudden wave of nausea began to wash over him.

His ears began to ring, and it was as if he could not hear anything that the other reporters were saying.

"Oh, I'm sorry..." Melanie continued with a concerned expression.

"I thought that you had heard about it," she added.

"The bandits abandoned their vehicle about fifteen miles from here. There's word that one of them was found murdered in woodland about a half-mile from where they made their escape."

Intuition began to pulse in his mind like an alarm.

His breathing became erratic.

"Has there been any word concerning any casualties at the bank?"

He asked with a tense look of trepidation.

"According to reports from my colleagues, covering the bank heist, there was word that a couple of employees were slain."