Chapter 31

Its often hard for a person to recognize and identify, with the violence that most people see and despise, until it affects their own lives.

It's often hard to understand the thinking and reasoning of people who use crime and corruption to help them survive...

But in a world that stands at the threshold of death and destruction, no one wants to be the first to die.

No one wants to face disgrace if defeat comes through crime, shame, and deceit, orchestrated by a rattlesnake.

Even a person considered to be weak can adapt to the traits of a chameleon, to survive through the week.

But in the end, a man has to understand that in the realm where people live through a veil of lies and false facades...

The most clever criminal, within such an orb of corruption, is liable to do whatever it takes to live another day.

The threat of murder and lifelong incarceration can make a human monster masquerade as a coward...

Especially, if it means that the music of life continues to play.

After being officially charged with the Kennesaw Bank and Trust heist, Swaylo was transferred to the Fulton county jail; on Rice street.

Due to the high-profile nature of the crime, he was escorted to the facility by an entire procession of law enforcement personnel.

A contingent of FBI agents escorted him from the hospital.

When they made it to the offender intake dock, there was a forty-man line of policemen dressed in their uniforms; standing before the admission platform, ready to take possession of the prisoner.

They stood at attention, with twenty officers on one side, and another twenty officers on the opposite side.

A parallel line of deputies resembled an angry welcoming party.

Each one had a hostile scowl etched upon his face.

Beyond the perimeter of the facility, along each side of Rice street, media vans and flocks of reporters covered the sidewalk and roadway.

The gleam of sunshine illuminated his path to the facility like an outlaw, brought into town for a public lynching.

With the media frenzy created by Kirkwood Kenny, and the crimes associated with his arrest, the publicity coverage had labeled Swaylo as an accomplice.

City leaders were already holding press conferences, denouncing crime, and using his case to highlight how people such as him were affecting their peaceful living.

Before the eyes of the public, Swaylo was already considered guilty.

Kirkwood Kenny's statement had him labeled as a menace to society.

Once he began working with the Feds, to avoid the death penalty, Kirkwood Kenny became the federal prosecutor's star witness.

In his rendition of the story, Swaylo had been portrayed as the out-of-control killer.

The one who had killed district attorney Brad Riner's twin brother, Chad...

When the media got wind of that portion of Kenny Mathis' statement, that added more fuel to the fire of public outrage.

The same prosecutor, known for his successful conviction of the 'Rainy Day Rapist'...

The same person that had been the people's champion, when Robert Baker had the city afraid to step outside alone...