Chapter 49

When Donald Morgan and his partner, Jeffrey Jamison, ran from his car, Brad Riner could hear them call in the shots fired code across their police radio.

Although they had instructed him to stay in the car, Brad could not compel himself to remain rooted in the safety of his vehicle, while they went to apprehend his brother's killer.

He jumped out a few ticks after they disappeared around the corner of the rec center.

A cluster of people began to migrate to the side of the building, as he reached the front walkway.

Swaylo, Charmaine, and Bald Bull disappeared amidst the shadows of darkness along the side of the building, and drove off in her car, a few moments before Brad could get through the crowd.

When he made it to the spot where Donald Morgan and his partner Jeffrey Jamison lay, Brad cried out in horror.

The entire side of Jeffrey Jamison's face had been blown off, and Donald Morgan lay clutching his abdomen.

Blood covered his chest.

His body was convulsing with spasms of pain.

His eyes were bulging with disbelief.

"No. No. No..." Brad cried out, going to his knees to hold his friend in his arms. "Don't do this to me, Don..."

Even as Donald Morgan lay, trying to will himself to overcome his injuries, the light in his eyes was fading.

By the time cops, and paramedics reached the scene Donald Morgan was dead.

It was difficult to try and explain to his boss, District Attorney for DeKalb County, Gregory Wallace, and the chief of police Marshall Field, who had come to the scene, once word hit the airwaves that two cops had been killed, that they had been engaged in an unauthorized operation; to execute an arrest against Lemario Mitchell.

Brad Riner had to undergo a very intense interrogation.

"Explain to me, what this guy Pie-Man looked like again," His boss requested with a scowl of disapproval on his face.

Homicide detective Leonard Sinclair pulled a notepad from his pocket, with a look of disgust.

Brad could only give a vague description of the man, aside from what he looked like.

The man was Donald Morgan's contact.

Brad did not know anything about the man.

"You didn't hear Morgan mention his name, once?"

"I just heard him call the guy, Pie-Man..." Brad admitted, his face etched in rage.

No matter what he said, he did not have a morsel of evidence to support his story that Lemario Mitchell was even present at the scene...

Brad had not seen him, thus his assertion was based on speculation.

Even with the audio from the tape, there was nothing to implicate Swaylo.

He had not spoken one open word, to allude to the crimes being alleged by Brad Riner.

"What the hell were you thinking about, Brad..." his boss growled at him, attempting to refrain from screaming.

"You can't even provide me with a positive ID on the fuckin' shooters." he spat, examining the recorder as if it were an orange dolphin. "And the only name, mentioned on the tape, is someone name Swaylo... That can be anybody!"

"I told you, Greg... Swaylo is Lemario Mitchell's nickname."

For more than an hour, Brad retold his story, dissecting every detail.