Chapter 7 ‐ Samantha

"Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new."
― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Lathe of Heaven

I slam the car door in anger, I walk inside and find Dad reading newspaper on the couch

He looks up at me, I stop suddenly feeling a bit scared. "You're back." He folds the newspaper and sets it smoothly on the coffee table. Taking off his glasses he stands and walks to me.

"Papá I-"

"First time my daughter did something like that." He says and surprises me with a smile. He pats my cheek rubbing his thumb over some dirt I guess. "Was it fun?"

I grin, "A lot, it's was so much fun I didn't want to leave there." I exclaim.

He wraps an arm around me then leads me to the couch, "Tell me all about it." He says as we sit, he asks a maid to get us some snacks.

"Papá, are you not angry?" I rub my fingers together.

He chuckles picking the tea cup, "Why would I be angry? Worried. I was worried not angry." He says.

I hug him tightly, "I love you so much papá." I say which makes him laugh.

I feel him kiss the top of my head, "I love you too little one." He says.

I look up at him, "What if I was in danger? I didn't even take the guards with me."

"The boxing place isn't dangerous." He says making me sit up straight.

"You know about the boxing place? Isn't it illegal?"

He nods, "I'm the Duke dear, and it is illegal but there's no harm letting it run."

"But Jasper doesn't know."

"Well not really my problem." He resumes drinking his tea.

"Papá he's your King. Shouldn't you let him know about all these things and if you knew I was safe why didn't you let him know? He was so angry!" I stand up.

Dad shakes his head at me, "If I let him know then it would be too easy for him, he has to do it the hard way to become and good king. Now he'll know how important it is to have spies even in his own kingdom."

"Everything doesn't have to be done the hard way Papá, Jasper thinks so highly of you." I say sadly.

Dad stands then holds my shoulder, "He never asks for my help Samantha, he thinks I'm a threat. Giving him too much information will only make him more suspicious of me. With time he'll learn." He says.

I nods lightly looking down, "I wish he was like you." I say.

Dad makes me lift my head so he can say my face, "Did he do something to upset you?" His brows pull together.