Chapter 18 - Jasper

“It’s enough for me to be sure that you and I exist at this moment.”
― Gabriel García Márquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Somethings wrong, my queen has been acting weird since the flight

Somethings wrong, my queen has been acting weird since the flight. She holding onto her belly tighter, somethings not right. But she says she's fine and that I must look after Eleanor and Aaron first.

I put her to sleep before asking for Eleanor, she meets me in the garden.

"Your majesty." She greets.

"I'm meeting you as you cousin, not your king El." I say, she just nods as we began to walk.

"You asked me to stop the wedding last time, what changed?" I ask.

She hesitates, "I was wrong back then, Shaun is a really nice man. You'll know when you'll meet him tomorrow."

"He's not someone foreign to me. I know every noble of my country and he's not a good one." I say.

"People change." She argues.

"Not all the time." I counter. "Tell me something better about him."

"He's good looking."

"That got to be a joke."

"He's rich."

"Most of my people are."

"He can save our home." She says frustrated.

I stop to look at her, "What does that mean?"

She freezes, "Nothing, I just said without thinking." She tries to shake it off.

"That sounded pretty honest to me." I intimidate her, "Tell me the truth, I ask you as your king." I order.

She gulps, "Mom has a lot of debt and we can't pay them back with the little money we have, Count Shaun made an offer to pay them all if I married him." She says making my blood boil.

"Are you kidding me El? You are my cousin. The king's cousin. One word and I'd brought the moon for you." I exclaim.

"You went missing remember? And mom was too prideful to ask her majesty the queen. The contract was signed before your return." She yells back. "You think I'm happy doing this? No. The man I love is suffering because of this, and the woman who gave me birth would suffer if I don't do this." She starts to cry.

I pull her into my arms and hold her, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you had to go through so much." I pull away.

"I'll make things right for you." I wipe her tears, "Is the man you love Sir Aaron?" I ask, her eyes widen with shock, she slowly nods. "Then the man you marry tomorrow will be him." I promise.

"Now go sleep, tomorrow is a big day for you." I smile.

"Are you serious?" She asks still not believing me.

"You have my word Eleanor. The only man you'll marry is the man you love." I say again, she hugs me again before running inside.

I ask my guard to call for Aaron, he soon comes to me. "Your majesty you asked for me?" He asks.

"Do you really want to marry Eleanor tomorrow?" I ask, he looks startled.

"I do." He replies.

"How far will you go for love?" I ask, he gets on his knee and bows.

"I might love her with all my heart, I might die in grief without her but my loyalty will always be to you my king." He says making me laugh.

"Get up, you need to stop kneeling every time you get. I am not doubting your loyalty. It's just you might have to steal something." I say, his eyes widens.

"Steal?" He asks and I nod.

"There's a contract made between Count Shaun and Aunt Catherine, if you get me that before sunrise you can marry Eleanor tomorrow." I say.

"But‐"

"No excuses, also Count Shaun is a alcoholic who doesn't remember anything when he's sober." I tell him before heading inside.

I'm sure he'll find the contact, once I go through it I'll get rid of it as well.

I won't let Eleanor have a contract marriage, no woman deserves to be sold like a commodity.

I enter my bedroom and find my queen sleeping peacefully, isn't ours also one?

I wash up before getting next to her, "I'm wish I can change things." I move some hairs behind her ear.
"I'm truly sorry to the real Samantha for making her feel like she's a commodity being sold."

"She'll understand Jasper, don't worry to much." My Queen mumbles in her sleep which almost gave me a heart attack.

I can't help but laugh, I place my hand on her belly. "I love you two." I kiss her forehead before falling asleep.

*

I slowly get ready and out of the room by seven, Aaron hands me the contact just on time.

"Go get ready for you big day. I'll handle the rest." I tell him, he goes away with the biggest smile.

I call for Count Shaun, "Greetings to the sun of our country, your highness the king." He bows.

"You may raise Count Shawn." I say.

"I'm honored to have you attend my wedding your majesty." He still looks to be having hangover.

"It's my cousin's wedding, of course I'd attend." I put the contact on the table. "But I doubt it'll be yours too."

He eyes the papers then me, "Your majesty I can explain." He says quickly.

"Sure do, I'm curious too about where the hell did you get the daring to treat my sister like a piece of good." I slam on the table making him tremble.

"I have made a great mistake, please forgive me. I was bewitched by her beauty and couldn't think another way." He says.

"My cousin isn't an object you can buy because you liked it. She's a human and the way you treat her shows just how much you don't appreciate her." I accuse.

"I can't help it your majesty, she's too beautiful. Everyman wants her." He says like a insecure man he is.

"That's your reason for being a bad human then you're way beyond help." I turn around. "I give you two choices now, null the contract and walk away with your title." I look at him across my shoulder, "Or give up your title."

"I'll null the contract." He says without second thoughts, I fist my palm angrily, I put out a paper for him to sign he quickly signs.

"I don't need a count like you Shaun Wilson, you are a black mark to my kingdom." I take the papers in my hand. "Learn your lesson living as a commoner." I say before walking out, he garbs my leg.

"Take him away." I say as he begs and pleads me to give him a chance.

Second chances are only for the ones who deserve it.

**

Do vote and comment!!