Chapter 20 - Jasper

“I will follow you to the ends of the world.”
― Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns

My heart stopped beating the moment I saw her crying in pain

"How is she? What happened to her?" I ask quickly as the doctor comes out of the ER.

"She fainted due to excess stress and anxiety, her vitals are a mess right now it might take time for her to wake up." She says making me want to scream.

"Can I see her?" I ask desperately.

She shakes her head, "We have put her under observation for twenty four hours, you can see her tomorrow." She says and walks away.

"She'll be fine." Justin pats on my shoulder, I shake my head feeling ashamed.

"I should have taken better care of her. It's all my fault." I say.

Duke Samuel rushes towards us, "What happened?" He asks panicked and sweating.

"She had a sudden pain in her stomach and passed out, the doctors have put her under observation for twenty four hours." I say.

He clenches his jaw, "I expected better of you." He shakes his head then walks away.

Watching his back an unknown discomfort pulls on my heart, "I'm sorry." I say, he stops then turns to look at me.

"Your sorry fixes nothing. I should have know better than to trust you to take proper care of her." He holds back whatever else he wanted to say, he looks at the nurses who seem very much interested in our conversation then walks away.

"He's just angry, he probably didn't mean anything he said." Justin tries to comfort me.

I sit on the chair holding my head in my hands, "Why did this had to happen Justin?" I really feel like crying at this point. "Where did I go wrong?" I control myself from pulling on my hairs.

"Here." Alice puts a file infront of me, I narrow my eyes questioningly.

"What's this?" I ask.

"Open it and you'll know." She says.

I think I've seen this file somewhere –Duke Samuel's office.

I open it, with every word, every information mentioned on the papers my anger only increases.

Two photos falls from the file onto my lap, I pick them and turn them. "This is gotta be a joke." I can't believe what I'm seeing.

"What?" Justin peeks into the photos. "Beth's mother was close to Dad?" He asks confused.

"She loved Dad." I say almost laughing, "And she killed our parents."

"Who?" Jacob walks to us, he went to get food for us.