Chapter Eighteen

Harry Styles

"I'd best be on my way out, you treat me just like another stranger" Halle sang, captivating the entire audience.

She was so nervous, but seeing her up there having sun is such a relief, because I think the later she performed the more nervous she'd get and that's a shame. She's quite an anxious person and I've realised that, but it always works out okay so she really does stress for nothing.

Everyone in the audience was smiling, I could see it from the side of the stage and I'm happy for her. This is a massive achievement and to be playing here without even releasing her debut album is incredible. She's two years younger than I am, and I've never even performed at the AMA's. She's the youngest woman to do this and that's genuinely absolutely amazing.

If that was me at age 21, I'd be over the fucking moon. She's had a good start out career and none of it was because of me.

Once she finished, she smiled into the audience and they all cheered, all the famous people she was worried about clapped their hands and cheered for her, proving absolutely every one of her worries wrong. It's almost as if she's been doing this her whole life because she's an absolute natural.

The lights went out and one of the hosts took over from the opposite end, and Halle came skipping off of the stage with her beaming smile lighting up the entire side of the stage. Mick was celebrating already, he had a glass of champagne waiting for her and I just stood smiling until she came off.

I don't know why I'm here. Sam is at the table therefore I should've stayed, but I suppose this helps our stunt, I guess.

Her performing outfit was very different from the one on the red carpet. It was a short dress and some knee high black boots, and I'd really be lying to myself if I said I didn't find her attractive right now.

"That was unreal." I told her after she took her glass of champagne from Mick, who vanished off to head back to our table.

"Oh my god." She chuckles, her hands shaking as she lifts the glass up to take a sip from. "That was so fun...wait, why are you here?"

"I erm, I don't-"

"Go!" She exclaims, turning me round by the shoulders and walking me toward the entrance to the tables again. "Your category is next!"

"Oh. Shit, yeah, going." I mumbled, not quite registering what she said until a few seconds later. "Fuck. Right, see you."

I Speed walked back to the table, leaving Halle behind to get changed and before her awards are called up. I made it back to the table in time for them to call out the list of nominees, and Sam looked very annoyed, but hey, it was his idea to do this whole PR stunt.

Presenting the best male rock artist award is Glen Campbell, and when he read my name out I felt such a strange sense of pride. I've been to the AMA's four times, and somehow, this year feels different. My last album feels so much better and I feel like I deserve to be here this year.

It's also great to be here alongside someone who never has. Seeing Halle all nervous and excited brings back memories of my own and knowing she'll remember this day for the rest of her life fills me with so much nostalgia.

Just before Glen announced the winner, the seat next to me becomes occupied again, and Halle joined us, gaining a quiet congratulations from everyone at the table following her performance. She nodded at me, a nod that felt like it spoke a thousand words and I could help but smirk.

"And the award of best male rock artist goes too... Harry Styles."

Adrenaline shot up my spine and the whole table rose to our feet. This is one of those moments where you don't feel like the person living your life, it feels too good to be true. The hairs on my arms are standing and my hands are shaking with excitement.