Cet-Khar

As I dispose of Azzar's body I reflect upon our place within the universe. You can't ever really know the meaning of your life. Needless to say, you don't have to. Every life has a meaning, whether it lasts one hundred years or one hundred seconds. Every life, and every death, changes the world in its own way.  "Don't take life for granted, but don't take it too seriously" is my motto.

I am heading to the Med-Bay when Bal-Khan calls me. Apparently, our older brother is having a "situation" that requires our help. I never thought I'd live to see the day that Zahraun is brought to his knees by a female. I'm more than thrilled and excited! Bal-Khan and I will be hanging this over his head for as long as we live.

Whatever we believe about how we got to be the extraordinary creatures we are today is far less important than coming together to mock the "well-controlled" Zahraun.

When we arrive at Zarhaun's quarters we find him pacing back and forth naked, growling at the human.

I am more than entertained. A story must be told or there'll be no story. So I am the first one to speak up. "What ever happened to your shower unit?"

He growled back at me. "What do you think happened?"

"Did she do that?" I ask.

He look at the human and consider her for a moment. "Yes, in a way."

"I did that? We are pointing fingers now, I see. Very mature!" She mutterers under her breath.

Bal-Khan's eyes dart back and forth between Zarhaun and the human, studying their instance with a very cool expression on his face. His calmness is very unusual for a Yautja, but that's what makes him a magnificent mediator.

The core function of a diplomat is maintaining, creating and repairing relationships between intergalactic species. Therefore, Bal-Khan begins by asking, "Human, are you alright?"

She shakes her head "yes" but doesn't speak. He then turn to our brother and ask the same question. "Zarhaun, are you alright?"

"Yes, why are you here?" Zarhaun snarled.

With a disapproving look in his eyes he raises one eyebrow. "I was informed about your outburst and came to help." He says coolly. "I do not intend to stay here all night, so why don't you tell me what's going on?"

Zahraun let out a sigh and stops pacing to face Bal-Khan.

"She is in my quarters, under my protection. Yet, she smells of other male." He says bitterly, fists clenched by his side.

I realize Zahraun is speaking an ancient language that has teetered on the brink of extinction - our ancestor's language. He doesn't want the human to understand what he is saying. That is interesting.

"And what did you do?" Bal-Khan ask calmly, while staring at the destroyed unit.

"I held her close and breathed deeply of her scent. The scent of another male clung to her skin. I felt something strange take over me, stronger than anger. She tried to push me away but I did not let her go. I wanted to put my own scent on her."

"Did you mark her?" I join in, curious by this new development. I am guilty - I am pleased to see my brother struggling over a tiny human.

"Something within me overcame my control. But, I managed to pull back and punched the walls instead, to release my anger.  She had no right to allow Bet-Khar to touch her, mark her with his scent. This is more than I can bear. I want to kill him."

"You are overwhelmed and acting unreasonable. From what I've gathered, they shared furs for comfort. Nothing has happened between Bet-Khar and the human. He haven't reached his mating cycle yet."

"Yet? That means he will soon?" Zahraun begins to pace again. "She wants Bet-Khar. She rubbed her mouth on him, in my rooms. What a shameless creature. How am I supposed to protect and care for a female that clearly wants to be in the arms of another?"

"It is not Bet-Khar I am concerned with. He haven't showed any signs of heat. You however... " I pause, choosing my next words carefully. "I need to run some tests on this human. She might be triggering your matting cycle."

Zahraun and Bal-Khan looked at me in astonishing silence. I do not share their astonishment whatsoever. I've noticed Zahraun's reaction around the human before. True, it is uncommon for our species to join with off-world species but I am a scientist. A scientific viewpoint is one that is based on evidence and sound logic.

"How dare you suggest such a thing?" Zahraun snap.

"It is just an observation. I will need to study the human's anatomy. Without any evidence, science makes no claims at all." I say matter-of-factly.

Already tired of this situation, Bal-Khan wanted this over with as quickly a possible. He had duties which required his attention. And had wasted a lot of time on this female.

"Cet-Khar, can you run the tests now? What do you need?" Bal-Khan asks.

"I need just the human." I reply.

"Alright Cet-Khar, I will escort the female to Med-Bay. Zahraun, You will need new rooms. We will leave you to it."

Zahraun look at Bal-Khan, enraged. The human look at us in panic.

"Is he going to break anything else? Because if he is, I will need another place to stay."

"Do not worry human. You can stay at the Med-Bay tonight while I scan your DNA. You will be safe there."

"I want to be taken to Bet-Khar. I don't want to stay at this Med... Med-Bay." She protest.

Zahraun spin around and his gaze lock on the human. He growl deep in his throat, with a thunderous expression on his face. Both of his hands clench into fists on his sides. "You are not going anywhere. You are mine."

"I am my own person." She protests again.

Zahraun's eyes glow with rage. "You will not be taken to Bet-Khar. I forbid!"

"If you do not let me stay with Bet-Khar, I will never let you touch me again."

A snarl tore from Zahraun. "You are mine. I will touch you whenever I desire."

"No! If you do not let me stay with Bet-Khar, I will find another Yautja who doesn't lose his mind and try to control me."

"I will not let you." He growl.

"I do not need your permission." She snaps.

"I am the commander. This is my ship. I hereby decree that you are my property, and you cannot touch another male."

Furious glowing eyes burns into hers. And a dangerous growl rumbled from this throat.

"You can't make me stay here with you."

"Yes, I can. You belong to me now."

"And who decided that?"

"Bet-Khar gave you to me. You are my property now."

I watch the human's eyes dim with tears.

I do not fully understand the human brain yet. It is a mysterious complex organ responsible for many functions including thoughts, emotions, and feelings. Their brain like the rest of their body is regulated by hormones and neuro-chemicals. An imbalance in hormones combined with stresses and feelings and inadequate coping mechanisms makes for a critical situation. All it takes is one moment of feeling hopeless, being alone and then acting upon it.

I see the wheels turning behind the female's eyes. She might actually hate Bet-Khar now. The sheer force of the emotional hurt I see in the human's eyes takes my breath away when I least expect it. I touch my wrist gauntlet and secretly send a signal to Celtic. I am not longer amused by my brother's predicament. Something must be done.