The Savior

Leanne slowly pushed herself up. Her hands were cold, her mouth dried and her head felt fuzzy. She took in her surroundings and gasped as a pair of masked red eyes stared back at her. She swallowed dryly and asked "Where am I?" He didn't reply. She stood up and looked around frantically, hoping to see a way out. He growled low and she jumped at the sound. "Please, what's going on? Where am I?" When he didn't answer, her bottom lip trembled and tears began to fall. 

He walked towards her but she shrank back. He snarled and pushed a few buttons on his wrist gauntlet. The side walls of the metal structure suddenly dissolved and Leanne dropped to her knees in horror as she realized what took place. They were inside a spacecraft, hovering above a burning forest.

For a long moment Leanne couldn't form words, just tears. The metal walls solidified again and Bet-karh abruptly left the room. Leanne remained on the floor, shocked by the realization of what he had done. The alien wasn't her friend, he didn't know her... and yet, he'd saved her life.

Tears of guilt streamed down Leanne's face. She had called him a freak, and thought of him as an animalistic and emotionally unevolved creature. Was she any different from people who mistreat others based on race or physical appearance? 

She stood up and walked towards the direction he'd disappeared. The corridor of the spacecraft was slightly lit, and she noticed the written symbols along the walls. She found Bet-karh examining  a holographic image of a planet while typing something on his wrist gauntlet. There was a computerized control panel in which he typed some coordinates with impressive speed.

For a moment she simply admired the sight of him working his alien technology with such grace. Bet-karh was no animal, despite his appearance. He was a strong and intelligent being, and by the looks of it, from a technologically superior planet. Leanne had never felt so small in her whole life. 

As if sensing her gaze Bet-karh looked over his shoulder not quite making eye contact, and quickly resumed typing, ignoring her presence. Leanne felt her throat tighten and her eyes filled with tears. She moved closer to Bet-karh and without warning wrapped her arms around his waist and whispered against his armor "Thank you for saving my life."