The Humble One

Bet-karh loathed the backwater planet and its weak inhabitants. How can something so small cause so much anger? He touched the female, alright! He had been merely curious, for she had been the first female human he has ever encountered. But she... she despised him. She had called him a " freak"? How dare she! He hissed. Bet-karh was an honorable hunter who never harmed the helpless or the unarmed. When fighting in hand-to-hand combat, he would remove all his equipments and give the adversary a fair shot.

But he didn't take offense lightly. He went to warn the female about the detonators, she'd insulted him and asked him to leave in return. So be it! This stupid female will turn into ashes along with the forest. He should not have cared in the first place.

Suddenly, Bet-karh heard light footsteps following behind. He turned to see... the human female... stalking him? "What's the meaning of this?" he growled in his language. She wanted to be left alone in the forest, and now what? He glared at her and spoke in a harsh-sounding tone "s'yuitde setg'in". She looked confused for a moment but took a deep breath and stepped closer to him.

He saw fear in her face, but there was something else too. He couldn't quite understand it. Humans were emotional creatures, with their many facial expressions and strange emotions. Bet-karh didn't speak earth females. He was an elite hunter from a much superior race. The end!

To his surprise she tilted her small head all the way back to look him in the eyes, and said "I am sorry. I did not mean to insult you." She swallowed and continue. "We" she pointed at herself "Humans fear what we don't understand and can't control". She looked down, took a deep breath and resumed "It's only natural for you to be curious. I would have wanted to touch you too, have I had the courage or the strength to protect myself. But I possess neither."

When Bet-karh didn't say anything, she glanced up again, placing a hand on her chest she said softly "I'm Leanne." Pointing a bony finger at him she asked "Who are you?"

Bet-karh understood her sheepish attempt of an apology. This human might be weak, perhaps had little brain, but he would accept it, for she was a humble one, and he didn't have much time left. The hunter stood tall, hitting his chest twice with his fist he boomed "Bet-karh".

The earth creature squinted, as her small brain tried to process the foreign word. With uncertainty, she mimicked "Vektal"? He looked at her with amusement. She misinterpreted his expression as a positive sign and repeated "Vektal! That's... very different." Before he could correct her, his wrist gauntlet activated, displaying a countdown. It seems that he would have to remain "Vektal", for now!