The Angel of Death

Celtic and I walk along a corridor when two sets of heavy-looking doors come into view. He opens the first one and gestures for me to go in. The room is brightly lit, with large glass windows facing the forest. The view is breathtaking.

He studies me a moment longer, and ask, "Do you like this accommodation?"

"Is this my room?"

"If you like it." He says.

"Yes, it's beautiful! Thank you."

"Bet-Khar told me that human females prefer sleeping in the male's bed, touching skin for comfort. I do not wish to share my bed, for I have no warmth to comfort you. However, if you feel afraid or have nightmares, you may come to my room through that door."

Celtic points to a door inside the room that I didn't notice before.

My face heats in embarrassment. I'm sure Bet-Khar told his brothers all about our nights together, in full details. He has no filter.

"There seems to be some misunderstanding. Human females don't prefer to sleep in the male's bed. Well, some do, but it's usually when they are in a relationship. I asked Bet-Khar to share his bed because I was cold and afraid after seeing the image of a Xenomorph. It was an unusual circumstance. Also, why is your room connected to this one anyways? Can I stay somewhere more private? Something more simple, even. I do not mind."

"I see." He studies me again and I see a hint of curiosity in his eyes.

"Do human females enjoy touching while sleeping?"

"Well, each person is different, but touch and intimacy are basic human needs. Specially when they are in love."

"Love? I do not know this word."

"Love is a very complex set of human emotions and behaviors characterized by intimacy, passion, and hopefully, commitment. Again, each person is different."

"How so?"

"In my opinion, love involves care, closeness, protectiveness, attraction, affection, trust, and much more. But love can vary in intensity and can change over time. Let's just say love is the foundation of kindness and healthy relationships."

"I see. Do you love Bet-Khar?"

His question surprises me and I have to think before answering.

"The love you feel for a friend, family member, or romantic partner are all distinctly different things. As a matter of fact, there are so many types of love that the word itself almost doesn't cut it. Needless to say, we all experience different types of love throughout our lifetime."

"What type of love do you feel toward Bet-Khar?"

"I haven't known him for that long, but I feel affection and respect - a type of friendly love, I suppose."

"And Zahraun? What type of love do you feel for him?"

"No love, just hate." I say honestly.

"At the warship, you sought Bet-Khar's touch very often. Why?"

"As I said, touching is a basic human need. Perhaps it's instinctive too. I felt constantly afraid and Bet-Khar was the only person who made me feel safe. You have no idea how hard my life has been. But I know how needy I must've looked, and I'm embarrassed by it." I admit.

"Don't be. Knowing your weaknesses allows you to understand how you can work around them. It is important that you realize that your strengths are the value you bring to this world. You must focus on things that allow you to demonstrate your value."