Leanne

I walk down the corridor as fast as I can, trying to keep up with Bet-Khar's long strides. I don't stop once to take in anything until we make it to the Sick-Bay where several huge guards stood at attention as we approach. Bet-Khar nod at the guards and we enter the room. The place is darker than the corridor we just came from, probably for the the patient's comfort. Cet-Khar is standing right by the entrance typing something on a clear glassy-looking "tablet" with a serious expression on his face. 

"How is he?" Bet-Khar immediately asks.

"I've tried my best..." When Cet-Khar spoke, his tone was undercut with a heaviness that I never heard before. I immediately feel a massive lump growing in my throat at his words. 

All of a sudden the door burst open and Bal-Khan stride in. His eyes quickly scan the room and land on us. Without a word he walk toward the right side of the room and pull a thin dark blind aside, revealing Zahraun's body lying on a flat surface - eyes closed, body unmoving. Bal-Khan lower his head and place his hand on Zahraun's forehead, letting out a low strangled sound deep in his throat. I feel as if my soul began to cry in response to the sound he is making. That moment I realize, grief is a universal. 

Did I ever wonder if the Yautja were capable of feeling emotions like humans do? I was grossly ignorant. I can not only see but feel the depths of Bal-Khan's sorrow.  As he mourns, his body seems to vibrate with pain, and the low sounds he is making is tearing my soul apart.  

Bal-Khan abruptly steps away from Zahraun's limp body and addresses Cet-Khar, "You know what has to be done." The pain in his voice rips at my heart. 

Cet-Khar lower his head, nods once, and began assembling what look like medical devices. 

Without another word, Bal-khan leaves the room.

"Celtic sustained severe damage and require immediate..." He pause, "immediate repair". You must go now, brother." Cet-Khar says over his shoulder to Bet-Khar, who nods and immediately leaves the room. I, in the other hand, remain rooted in place. 

I find myself crying once again. This time thought it is from anger rather than sadness. Because from were I stand now, I have a clear view of what have been done to Zahraun's body. How can someone do this to leaving creature? Whoever did this to him wasted no time. Each blow aimed straight at the vital points.

Zahraun's chest look like it had been cut open from one side to another, as if someone (or something) tried to rip his heart out. His usual dark skin now look pale and lifeless. 

My heart pounded in my chest and I move close to his body, knowing there was nothing I could do. I reach up my hands, flattening them against his chest, carefully not to touch the deep wound. 

"Can you help him? He can't go like this, please..." I plead to Cet-Khar without completely taking my eyes of Zahraun.  Cet-Khar glance back over his shoulder, "He is no human. He does not have a heart that can be brought back to life by a healer like human does. It is Zahraun that holds the keys to his own life and death, not I." Hot tears stream down my face as I stare at the face of someone who lost his own life to save mine.

I touch his forehead and trace the lines of his high cheekbone gently. His skin, once hot like a flame, now feel like ice under my fingertips. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." I whisper on his ear over and over again... as though my pain and guilt could bring him back. 

The male who arrogantly bargained for my freedom and promised to keep my kind safe has been taken away from his world too soon, and it is all because of me. Have I known that saving my people meant bringing harm to someone else... 

No longer able to draw oxygen into my lungs, I sit down on the cold floor and hang my head between my knees. I hear no more and feel no more. Zahraun, that fierce force of nature, is no more. Death has taken his soul before his time.