I Fear What I Can Do

Eira sat, stunned to silence. Her hand stilled on Misty's forehead.

"Why?"

"Someone had disclosed the lake incident. I was given a warning for concealing the truth of it."

"I'm so sorry to drag you into this," Eira frowned. "Who else knew?"

"I have my suspicions," Ms Kate sighed and as Eira waited for her to explain whom she suspected, she spoke of something else. "I had shown them my reference letter, which informed them of your instabilities and that they may require further tests. I also explained the incident was concealed by the consent of persons involved and for the general interest of persons involved. They won't hear of it."

"Who can I talk to about this?" Eira felt Misty nudge her hand and she hugged Misty closer to her chest. "I've come too far to give up now. Kallos is important to me. It'll help me better learn my powers."

"I had raised that point too, but the Board is reluctant. Every year there are more and more half-bloods trying to get into Kallos, knowing that there was the door open and available for them. I believe the Board will simply choose another half-blood rather than take one that has... risks."

Risks. Eira felt her breath leave her. There was a dampness in her stomach, and hope slipped past her like water through cracks.

"There was one person..."

Eira's eyes lifted.

"His name is Lathan. One of the randomly selected members for the half-blood enrolment team. He had inquired about you, saying that unstable powers were common occurrences for those with strong excess powers. He, himself, was one."

"Is he a water wielder like me?"

Ms Kate nodded, laughing, "He told me he had trouble putting the particles together and creating ice. You're the opposite. I could try and convince him again."

Eira was hesitant, afraid of a second rejection, "What did he inquire about? Specifically?"

"The lake incident. I had explained as best as I could. He had heard about Taylor, the illusionist."

Eira downcast her gaze, only to be disrupted by Misty hopping onto the table and almost spilling her cup of tea. Eira moved it away, giving it a sip. It was lukewarm but she did not comment on it.

"Do you think he'll... he'll want to talk to me?"

"That's uncertain. Even if he did want to talk to you, it might be an investigation rather than a second chance. So, it is up to you."

Eira watched Misty sit down, licking her paws. Even if Eira agreed to the meeting, she won't necessarily get the chance to go to Kallos. From the sounds of it, Lathan might only be interested in the instability of her powers and the truth to the incident. They might launch an investigation, not like there wasn't one happening already with Ms Kate's help, but just more formal. She'll be asked a ton of questions; she might get judgemental looks and signs of disapproval... anything could happen in the meeting that could go sideways, and with the Board knowing that Ms Kate had concealed the incident... Eira's credibility is tainted.

"I'll talk to him... if he wants to talk to me, that is."

Ms Kate smiled, "I'll do my very best."

Eira replied with a grateful one back. Despite all the negatives that may occur, Eira had nothing to lose. What harm could come from meeting Lathan? Eira's chances were slim, but they were still chances. And even if her chances of going to Kallos was thrown out the window this time, so be it, she'll go to Brunwood. In the end, she's alive and breathing, she wasn't completely defenceless, and her powers are, at least, more active than before.