Beast

Her chest tightened, her breath quickened, and her eyes darted to Jason. But through the waters, she could not see him, only that her powers were turning her into the beast she feared.

"No, stop!"

"Eira?!"

The waters grew darker in colour, as dark as midnight, as dark as a nightmare. She swiped her hands outwards, but the water caved in, moved in directions she didn't want them to go. Then, she heard it. Her own core.

Dear me... aren't you a disobedient girl. I thought we should say hello.

"I don't listen to your commands, beast."

Beast? Is that the name which you have given me? Without even asking me first. Fine. Beast it shall be.

Her powers whipped back and struck her on the shoulders, forcing her to the ground.

Who is this little boy here? He looks so tiny from where I stand. But... so do you.

"Shut up! Leave me!"

Laughter echoed in her mind. She couldn't hear Jason so clearly as before.

Rude girl! But I suppose you are unfamiliar with a demon inside you. I will forever be the monster, the poison that lives and thrives! You will never be rid of me...

I will! I will!

Did they not tell you?

Laughter, yet again. Full of ice and mockery. Eira stifled a cold laugh herself. Ice, her powers that she once adored, was now the very thing she feared and detested.

If you be rid of me, you die sooner.

S-sooner?

Eira's forehead grew cold but just at that moment, a wash of fire sprang above her head and her water beast hissed in distaste.

Ambush over pure battle! How barbaric and cowardly!

The water turned, and Eira knew where its target lies. Eira gripped onto her powers so hard her fist shook, she kneeled to the crowd, her body pulled by an invisible force. Half of her vision was growing murky.

"STOP!"

She raised one arm, stood with alarming strength and power. The beast's howls could be heard in the wind. It was angry but Eira's wrath dominated it. Slicing the air, the water shot down to the sand and exploded. A burst of wind stirred the sand beneath her feet, but it didn't topple her. She stood, tense and weary.

Long-awaited silence. And Eira relished in it.

"Eira," a hand on the shoulder woke her from her frozen daze. She looked up and Jason's concerned gaze flooded hers. "That, that..."

"That is my power... yes..." Eira said, weakly. "Are you hurt?"

"No."

She nodded. It was not sadness she felt. It was anger. And the distance between them didn't help. Suddenly, she pushed him away.

"You see!" She gestured wildly. "It's pointless! I've tried and tried and tried. I thought I was getting better, but nothing ever is."

"Eira, it's only the first few months here," Jason was approaching her, she could sense it. "You need time! That's all!"

"Did you hear it?"

"H-hear what?"

"The beast. It was taunting me." She turned and saw the look in his eyes; it brought her a sudden shame.