Recovery and Discovery

After Eira's parents had left to go for a walk at the lake — which Eira shuddered at the request and refused to go along — the picnic table only had Skyler, Jess, and Eira seated on it.

Skyler and Jess threw her sly looks, but Eira was genuinely confused, "What are you two doing?"

"When did you two start dating?" Jess played with her braids that fell gently on her shoulder.

Eira was instantly silenced as her brain flicked through everything that had the tag of 'love' in it. The search results came up with something she didn't quite expect. So she instantly deleted the results and spluttered, "W-What?"

Skyler raised a brow, "don't act dumb, honey. We know what you did."

Eira rolled her eyes and giggled, "I clearly don't, so please elaborate, will you?"

Jess shook her head and laughed.

Jess, a childhood friend, survived school drama together, and they were unstoppable, but there was more to expect from them. Ever since Jess discovered her floral powers, she was introduced to their team Phoenixia.

Skyler was a member of Phoenixia, and her mist control allowed her team to give attacks into the enemies base without being exposed into the wild for their enemies to spot.

Skyler narrowed her grey eyes and she smiled, "You and Jason."

Eira's smile faltered, her expression blank. She wiggled on the garden bench, uncomfortable about the conversation.

"We're not dating."

Jess raised her brows and tilted her head, clearly questioning her. But Skyler waved her off and continued her theory.

"Jason has never, ever put so much effort and care into a girl before!" Skyler exclaimed, her arm in the air to emphasise the importance. Eira was blushing, but she covered it with a laugh.

"Are you saying this because he took care of me?" Eira chuckled.

Jess sat up straighter after being pointed and acknowledged by Skyler, "Jess saw... the way he looked at you, talked to you when you were in a coma!"

Skyler nudged Jess, hard. Jess quickly nodded innocently.

Eira pursed her lips and downcast her eyes. She was hesitant to ask, but she had to know. What had happened? How had she survived? These question repeated back and forth in her mind like a broken tape.

In the day and in the night, there was not one moment where her thoughts wouldn't turn around to go back to the mystery. She thought she was dead, the moment she had closed her eyes.

That frightening moment when she saw Jason's shaken figure blur away from her vision. The moment when she thought she would never see him again.

She breathed in some courage and did her best to act casual, "actually... I was going to ask. What happened?"

Jess' body turned rigid, Skyler's expression was unnatural. They looked at each other, hoping one of them would come up with a solution to deal with Eira's questioning. But Jess' green eyes only showed blankness.

"Guys..." Eira pressured.

Jess' lips went into a line. "Eira, it's not that we don't want to tell you. We know little of the details as well-"

"But I know little to almost nothing!" Eira raised her voice. Skyler was taken aback but softened her expression.

"I have the right to know." Eira's last words came down to a whisper. She saw Skyler giving in. Eira almost wanted to smirk, she had placed down the last card - and it worked.