Dreams

"Just walk forwards into the trees," the voice said, "when the music stops, you stop."

Jason did as he said. Eira's life depended on him, and he was to bargain for it. He knew Evans price wouldn't be low.

The lack of undergrowth unsettled him. He kept walking, phone on his ear, and shoulders tense.

The winter sun was weaker in the trees, rays rarely penetrating through the gaps of the leaves. They quivered as if in fear.

The music stopped and the line clicked. Jason removed the phone and looked at the screen. There was no service.

"Ah! Mr. Jason Abbot. Welcome."

Jason looked around for the sound.

"Show yourself."

"Ah ah! I set the rules, not you." Evans laughed and Jason furrowed.

"I do what I want, Jason." His voice deepened.

A gush of wind pushed feathers up from the floor; Jason didn't notice that they were there before. The oily feathers glistened slightly in the beam of lights before they floated back to the shadows again.

"To keep Eira alive," Evans continued. Jason searched desperately in the shadows, trying to locate him. "You must give me something in return."

Jason let out a breath and stayed still, "And that is?"

"Your powers."

Jason's heart clenched tight. The price was equivalent to amputating a body part. His fist shook.

"Too expensive? Sorry I can't give you discounts on that." Evans playful tone echoed the woods.

"Fine." Jason managed. "On one condition."

"Alright. Like a true businessman, I respect that."

"I must have Eira alive and sent home." Jason paused, "then, I'll come back."

Evans stifled a chuckle, "how would I know you'll keep your promise?"

"I won't break it. If I do," Jason swallowed, "you know where to find me."

No one said a word, the wind did not even dare to whisper and disturb the moment.

"Fine by me." Evans giggled, "What a good businessman I am."

From the sky, silent as a raindrop, a tiny glass bottle fell. It landed on a bush and rolled towards Jason's feet.

"Now, sign the contract and place it back in the bottle when your done."

Jason bent down and opened the bottle with shaking hands. He signed it with no more hesitation and did not care enough to read the conditions. He shoved the paper back.

"Fabulous."

The bottle broke away and Evans laughter continued to echo.

"I'll see you later, Jason." Evans said, "Oh! Tell Eira's parents I said hello."