Too Late Now

Nick couldn't just go home. He just couldn't.

Something inside him, like a shift in tectonic plates, a tree fallen in a forest, a vibration will keep him awake all night. He had to do something. It was the second worst decision he has ever made.

The butler greeted him at the door with a formal demeanour, but it didn't hide his surprise.

"My Prince! At such late hour..."

"Sorry Levi, but I need to speak to Dale." Nick was already on the marble entrance, the merciless cold floor echoed under his steps.

"I'm not sure if he would be happy to see you," Levi kindly warned. He coughed into his gloved hand. "Perhaps, tomorrow morning would be better."

"Then it would be too late," Nick said to himself. He looked at Levi's blank expression and smiled. "Please Levi."

Levi paused and then nodded. "Of course. But..."

Levi hesitated, but Nick encouraged him with a nod.

"The girl, the guest... she's well fed, well dressed. It is rather odd, isn't it? "

"I told Dale not to hurt her."

Levi's expression didn't change.

"But-" Nick stopped him.

"There's nothing to worry about. She'll be fine."

Levi opened his mouth, but then closed it. There was uncertainty in his eyes. He gave a small bow and left for the upstairs.

Nick paced around in the waiting room. The carpet engulfed his footsteps as he gave fleeting glances to his knuckles and then at the door. He kept walking.

The clock struck 12 and the muffled bell sounded in the distance. Nick stopped and looked at the digital clock on the wall.

"Brother."

Nick turned. He saw the other pair of green eyes narrowed in amusement.

"Already got the files? What a surprise." He said in a monotone.

"I'm afraid not." Nick gauged his brother. He looked older, perhaps weary. But in a suit, he was still fresh.

What was he doing? Nick thought.

His brother laughed. "Well, what are you here for?"

"To ask what you need these files for."

"I already told you. It's confidential." Dale's long stride reached Nick in two steps.

"You're working with Evans, aren't you?" Nick gritted his teeth and challenged Dale with his glowing eyes. "He's not dead. He's always watching us, I know that..."

Nick's eyes glowed intensely. Dale's smirk faltered. His gaze shifted to the decorations and antiques placed on the shelves, now, floating in midair.

"But I just couldn't believe that my family would be dealing with him."

Dale laughed, his usual confidence returned. He pushed his black hair back and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Why not, baby brother? We can rule the place."

Nick's stomach fell to the bottom. His voice lowered, "How can you trust him?"

"It's called business. Negotiation... trade..." Dale's voice lowered dangerously. His tone deepened. "Nothing you would understand."

Nick's eyes were now a green flame. Nick felt the twitch of his brother's panicked expression. He quickly recovered, but not quick enough.

The shelves shook, but with a raise of his brother's hands, Nick felt something compress his chest. The shelves stopped moving, the antiques clunked back onto the wooden shelves.