Back to Work

Jason was jittery ever since that night, not to mention he burnt down half the courtyard to show how jittery he was. First, it was a meeting with the deans about the incident and then a power assessment to test his stability and now this.

Jason sighed as he stood outside Ms Kate's house. This house was within Gataria borders and Jason found that he didn't need to go anywhere else to meet his mentor. Ms Kate's house was in the middle of the woods, the place where the trees used to be bare is now covered in lush green leaves to welcome the sun.

He breathed in deeply. The smell of fresh air and summer, the feeling of heat on his shoulders. Feels great...

He stepped forward and knocked. Sweat formed at the side of his forehead as he narrowed his eyes against the wooden door. It was tall, intimidating and the conversation he was expecting frightened him.

The door creaked open and greeted the hesitant warrior.

"Jason," Ms Kate looked pleased to see him. Jason eyed the cat, Missy, by her feet. "Come in. Don't mind the cat. She won't run."

Ms Kate disappeared into the shade and Jason took wary steps inside the room. It was a lovely colour of white, and the furniture was light-washed wood with colours of maple, brown, and ice blue for the seating areas.

Jason felt slightly out of place. A place as dainty and cool coloured as this was a direct contrast to his fiery powers that would render this place into ashes if he wished. But at the same time, something made him feel exactly where he should be. Maybe Ms Kate was too familiar a person to him and maybe because...

Blue...

Ms. Kate brought over two glasses of water, the ice clinking against the delicate glass as she moved. Jason didn't want any, the cold room was enough to cool him, but he didn't say anything when she put them down on the table.

"Sit! Why are you standing?"

Jason wasn't sure why himself. He settled himself on the couch.

"It's good to see you Jason," Ms Kate gave Jason another look. "How is everything?"

Jason expected this before Ms Kate revealed what exactly she wanted to say. He cleared his throat, "It's fine. I..."

Should I tell her?

"Whatever you're hesitating on, I hope you are considering telling me about the fire."

Jason closed his eyes. "I really didn't mean it."

"You know I'm not asking about that."

Jason released a cautious breath, "I... I saw..."

Since when did he become so frightened over hallucinations? Hallucinations, of course. Whatever that was, he couldn't decipher it and it troubled him. Not to mention the previous Ms Taylor was an illusionist who could conjure these matters.

"I saw Ms Taylor— an image of her —but I..."

"The amount of hesitancy doesn't sound like you anymore," Ms Kate said, with a small smile. Jason opened his mouth but was interrupted when Missy jumped onto his legs, earning a fright from Jason and a laugh coming from Ms Kate.

"Missy is quite fearless, I'm sure you know."

Jason stifled a chuckle, "Of course."

"She's very fond of Eira."

Hearing Eira's name was like hearing wind chimes on a fine day, somewhere in the distance, unseen and unexpected. And one would think a simple breeze wouldn't stir it, but it chimes, and it cannot be unheard.