Water and the Flame

Something burned his stomach and Jason had to stop.

Ferns grew on the trail back to his place, and the leaves had moved one by one, a musical performance of the xylophone. A branch flicked under his step and slapped against his ankle. He ignored it, as well as ignoring the deep, unnatural warmth from his stomach.

He heard his footsteps against the ground, smelt the smell of a type of wood in his nose. He couldn't tell which, but it calmed him. Another breeze pushed the leaves into an almost vertical angle, they fluttered like wings and some had taken off flying.

A shiver of the bushes broke the pattern and Jason turned around. He didn't raise his arm.

Luke walked to the edge of the shadows the trees had provided, not touching the boundary. His hood was off and all his uncertainty was written on his face.

Jason waited for him to fill in the emptiness: either with words or black magic.

"You need to leave."

Jason raised his brows, especially when he noticed the quick way Luke spoke.

"They're on to you." Luke's dark eyes darting around quickly.

"I know," Jason glanced down, avoiding Luke's gaze. "And I can't run."

Both boys heard a shiver in the trees and Luke sent his ball of magic flying. It didn't hit a target.

"You should go, there are eyes and ears everywhere." Jason advised. He turned away but Luke's question stopped him.

"What is it? What is it do you have on their hands? You don't even have your hands raised when you heard me... I know you heard me."

Jason's words formed at the edge of his lips, but none of them left his mouth. 

He continued his journey back to his house. 

Luke took a step into the light, the sun's caress was warm on his face. He wanted to look up, but that would hurt his eyes, he thought. He closed his gaping mouth and retreated.

---

"Are these 'aliens' dangerous? Lack of evidence brings us no conclusion, however, this incident will bring us more clues, and perhaps the final barrier between humans and these 'creatures' will be broken..."

Eira left the living room and went upstairs. She couldn't bare it more. 

If there were humans hurt, how many Ryders were hurt? How many won't be able to return back home? Each step and creak of the floorboard only made her legs weaker and her heart beat faster. 

The news and the human reporter's voice was fading in the background as well as her mother's concerned look. The shadow felt cool as she walked further up, but her palm sweat with cold sweat. She quickened her pace, broke the shades and made a beeline for her room. She heard her room door click behind her before she took out her phone.

Walking towards the window, Eira dialed a number and watched her reflection place the phone to her ear. Every beep represented a certain connection with the person she cared about, and she imagined a familiar deep voice say the exact words she needed to hear.

"Eira."

Eira let out a long breath, "Dad, are you alright? We are both really worried!"

"Eira, I'm alright. The bombing was outside Gataria," Mr. Riley's voice gave Eira great comfort, she had to let out a sigh again. She seated herself in the bay window, her ice blue gaze stared out into the lush green tree, the same tree she saw Jason appear under. His copper hair quivering in the breeze.