Back to Battle

It would be cooler indoors, but Jason didn't want to go in. Behind him, the sunlight warmed his shoulders, trailing down his back. Sweat formed at the side of his forehead as he narrowed his eyes against the wooden door. It was tall, intimidating and the conversation he was expecting frightened him.

The door creaked open and greeted the hesitant warrior. Pulling his hands out of his pocket, he looked at his superior. Ms. Kate's initial expression wasn't pleasing, but somehow, they softened when she had studied Jason from head to toe.

"Come in." She left the door open and disappeared into the shades.

Jason took a deep breath and stepped in into the unpleasant dark room. The sunlight directing its way into one side of the room, yet the other half had none of it. Jason eyed around the house, the dark atmosphere reminded him a lot of the past: the fire, the strike of lightening, Eira...

It was to Jason's surprise that Ms. Kate didn't ask him what he preferred, instead, she brought over two glasses of water, the ice clinking against the delicate glass as she moved. Jason didn't want any, the cold room was enough to cool him, but he didn't say anything when she put them down on the table.

Ms. Kate took a sip. Wiping her hands on her jeans, she started the questioning. Jason sat down and rested his elbows on his knees. He was the suspect and Ms. Kate was the inspector, except Jason had nothing to offer. It wasn't as though Mr. Evans was stupid. He had everything prepared when things didn't go well - and even when Mr. Evans had maximum confidence, he always had plan B and did the unexpected. 

"Any leads?" She gestured the file he had held in his hands. Jason eyed the edge of the folder, crumbled under his grip. He didn't realise that he was so nervous and he cleared his throat to cover it up. 

"Kayla admitted everything she knew. The pollen was possibly a new creation, but she had no idea what it was for. She was kept out of the Stanley incident." Jason paused, "perhaps they knew their sensitive relationship."

Ms. Kate nodded. Jason clenched his jaw and felt disappointed at himself for letting Ms. Kate down. Ms. Kate was a caregiver, sometimes Jason even saw her as a mother figure - Afterall, he never had much experience with having a mother in his life. He looked up to her, he obeyed her commands - most of the time. Whenever she gave him a worried or concerned glance, Jason would feel that he'd let her down. Once, he didn't listen to her and went with his own ideas, but things didn't end as well as he intended. 

"Is Stanley recovering well? I was... busy lately." Ms. Kate did a hand gesture and glanced away. Jason looked at her dimming green eyes, stress visible at those corners.

"He's fine. There are healers to check on him here and there..." Jason's eyes didn't leave Ms. Kate; there was something wrong. "He has trauma... still."

Stanley Ross, his once rival, frenemy, has become his friend. He impressed Stanley, he saved him and Stanley wasn't completely inhuman, he was grateful. 

Ms. Kate didn't say anything and Jason took the hint, she wanted more than these reports, "we are trying to track down Luke, he's the only one who could potentially be turned over-"

He held his tongue. Lukas Evans was a traitor (he didn't want to believe it but there is the evidence) and whenever he mentioned him, something tightened in his chest. Jason covered up his emotions quickly by pulling out photos from the brown bag, the photos scattered on the glass table. Most of them covered from human surveillance. There was no clear location or date.

"Jess claimed that Luke had helped her escape." Jason's voice trailed off.

Ms. Kate looked at him and Jason surrendered, "I know, I shouldn't have my hopes up."