Just Like Old Times

Eira was caught in the rain when she left the library. She had borrowed fresh books— some fiction books for herself and some textbooks for the dreadful essay she had to write.

Eira reached out her hand, letting the rain collect in her palms and slip away. She chuckled to herself as other students looked at her like she was mad. She twirled her fingers, and the rain particles began to move around her like fairies in a forest. She let them follow her to shelter, a garden folly that has seen history.

She shook off the rainwater and laughed at herself.

"Might want to get that water off before you catch a cold."

She whirled to the side only to see a drenched wet fire boy.

"Jason, you look..." She eyed him top to bottom, earning a bark of a laugh from him.

"Terrible I know. Honesty is the best policy, ice girl." Just as they were speaking, the water began to steam off him, and the air grew misty.

"Hiding in the rain too?" Eira said, just to start conversation. She glanced away as he grinned at her, and she resisted the urge to show signs of nervousness.

"The Spring weather is felt by all fire wielders," Jason rubbed his fingers together to emphasis his point. "We need to use more energy to create a flame. The humidity isn't doing us any good."

"I see."

"And you?"

"Spring is lovely for us. Summer might be more dreadful, but I heard the summer here is pleasant."

"Summer's my favourite season," Jason grew close and sat on the bench, next to where she's standing. "You will like it here."

Eira eyed him carefully, studying his posture, his jawline and the way he sat. Everything about him made her feel slightly easier. She joined him shortly on the stone bench and they watched the rain together.

"I need to tell you something."

"Hm?"

"I'm going to train with you."

Eira snapped her head to him, "No."

"Yes," Jason smirked. "It'll be just like old times. Don't you miss it?"

"Do you?"

Jason looked like he was caught in the middle of thievery. His alarmed expression frozen in time. He quickly turned away, wiping his palm on his lap. "I, uh... it was fun to train with you and the team. I didn't expect it to be, but it was."

"Oh," Eira shrugged. "Well, sure, as long as Lathan doesn't mind."

"He doesn't. Ms Kate already talked about it with him."

"I..." Eira turned in her seat. "Is there something else you're not telling me?"

Jason hesitated a beat before putting a palm on his lower chest. "This... this is worrying Kate."

Eira's forehead grew cold and numb. She shuffled closer and eyed his hand. "What? Your wound?"

The wound I inflicted.

"I thought it was healed. How come-"

"I don't know," Jason closed his eyes, worry etched in his brow. "It pains me, sometimes."

"You're hurting now?"

"A little," Jason breathed carefully and let go. "Training with you might provide some answers, since we were in that incident together."

The rain accompanied the silence, and the silence pained Eira as much as the wound did with Jason.

"And I saw an image of Ms Taylor one night," Jason stifled a chuckle to lighten the mood. "She was like a ghost. She said the exact same things she had said to me before. It freaked me out. It freaked Nick out too."