Was Friends

"On duty again?"

Luke turned around at the familiar sound, grinning when he saw his best friend leap up from the stairs. Luke looked around cautiously.

"You come here to distract me on purpose?" Despite them going against the rules, Luke grinned. The tower overlooked the field and he was able to almost see the invisible waves created by the gates of Gataria. 

Jason snooped around curiously, hands in his pocket and eyes wandering about. 

"What are you doing?" 

"Checking this place out."

Luke huffed, "I thought you had been here before? Dude, just spill it, what are you up to?" 

Jason gave him a mischievous grin and stood next to him to look through the look-out window. "I know your shift ends in an hour, how about we go hunting down some Xenas in the forest?"

Luke rolled his eyes, "Really? That's it?" 

Jason raised his brows, leaning on his elbow, he looked at his friend in surprise. "I thought you were fine with that!" 

"Nah, don't feel like it today." Luke sighed, "And look, I've got to see my sister today."

"Ava?" Jason asked, "I'll come along."

Luke gave him a look, "Don't you have things to do?" 

Jason grinned slyly, "I'm bored, but that's the best part about being a soloist. I can team up with anyone and do anything in my spare time."

"You have training." 

"Whatever."

"And you have-"

Jason raised his hands, "Yeah, I know... my father."

Luke swallowed nervously and looked around, "You know, if your father finds out that I'm going against the rules and letting you up here, I might get cashiered! Come on, you have to go before my partner gets back from his lunch break."

Jason tsked at him, "Lukas Black, didn't know you obeyed the rules so much!" 

"I'm not rebellious as you and I don't have much freedom as you," Luke said, "I need this position. I need to have my place in our society, besides... I need to take care of Ava."

Jason frowned, "Your parents... are they okay?" 

"It's tense," Luke shook his head, "They are gonna split, I just know it. I really worry about Ava."

Jason gripped his shoulder, "Hey, it's gonna be alright. Your parents will take care of it. Ava will be under their care, they won't leave her on her own."

Luke pursed his lips, "Then... me?" 

Jason let go of his shoulders and let out a breath, "They will take care of you too. I know you don't have a great relationship with them, but... I think they do-"

"They don't, trust me." Luke looked away, "You... you should go. I don't want to get into trouble."

Luke felt Jason's glance on him and nodded. "Alright. I'll... see you around?"

"Yeah... no hunting today."

"No hunting," Jason smiled and turned to walk down the stairs, leaving Luke to be on his own, his dark and watchful eyes watching the changing colours of iridescent on the gates. 

A/N

Hey! I thought I would quickly remind you what they are talking about. This is going way back when Jason didn't even have a team. You would remember from Snowfire that Jayden said he literally popped out of nowhere and became a leader. As for Ava, in Snowfire (A Better Friend), through Jayden, Nick and Jason's conversation you would know that Luke had two sisters: one is biological and one isn't. Guess which one Ava is and which one Ethel is? This is a test of memory now ;) 

Until next time, friends!

L

P.S Btw, if you have any critics on my story, please comment on what I can improve with. If you are confused or think some parts of the story are not smooth enough or you don't understand what is going on, please tell me. Authors like me are really scared that their story confuses people, or leads them the wrong way. They often place foreshadowing and hints everywhere in order for readers to spot them and be like OHHHH I see where this is going OR OHHHH I know why they did this now. So if you are confused, please tell me where you are confused (as detailed as possible). I'll try my best to improve.