Death Of A Loved One

A week ago

Luke screamed only once.

Etta Wood, or in other words, Ethel was buried under the very soil he stood on. The graveyard was situated at a rather isolated place. It was unknown to most people, only a few villagers down the valley told Luke what he needed to hear. Luke has walked a while before the clearing was met — before he found out the truth.

He bent down, rubbed his thumb over the curves and depths of the carving. It took him so long to find her, his sister, but he ends up getting this unsatisfactory answer. In fact, it was a painful answer. How dare they? After they threatened him that they have her, to the moment when he agreed to help them, to the part where they promised that they won't hurt her as long he did what they wanted him to do.

Luke stood up. The clearing had a fresh smell, but he was certainly not there to enjoy it. The warm sunlight pointed his way and he moved towards the barely visible trail and continued. The villagers didn't tell him just that. They had more answers than he knew. Ethel was known to be Etta, a small girl under the care of "her mother". A nice, single mum. One day, both of them went to let the cattle out to graze the grass on the hills. They never came back.

Some kind villagers had taken care of the cattle and the others went on a search for them. The next morning, found her dead under a cliff. Her neck was broken and her limp limb was being washed in the brook. As for the girl, a hit in the head killed her instantly — the same ending for both of them.

Luke stood over the small cliff, a small stream running past beneath him. Yes, he thought, it would be so easy for an "accident". A little push and down the "mother" goes. The girl would be easy without her guardian. The trees rustled behind him. He stood straighter to listen and concluded that it was only the wind.

"Why do you want to know where she's buried?" The man in the village has asked.

Luke gave him a natural smile, "Ms. Wood was my mother's distant cousin. She hasn't heard from them for a long time. Etta loved to come over."

He had pulled out Ethel's photo for proof.

"Ah, look at her... She's a dear, sweet girl. With a lovely mother!" the wife of the man shook her head. "Such a shame."

"Local police came to investigate, said that the two must've taken a fall. Sorry, son."

Luke whipped around just in time for something to fly past his cheek. He turned a 360 degree before a ball of black magic was in his hands. The cloud-like magic flew out of his fingers a second later, the ball of lightning finding its target. A thunder-like sound erupted quietly in the trees and Luke knew that it had managed to hit its prey.

Luke waited and all he heard was the breeze. He cursed. The breeze was not helping. If they knew what he knew, then they would doubt his loyalty. Not that they had any of his loyalty anyways. Besides that, they may choose to take him out. He hoped that it wasn't them

A crackle alarmed Luke and he looked up. A healthy tree decided to make its plummet, Luke leapt forwards and it missed him by a few inches. He took a few rolls down a small hill and turned around to observe the damage. The tree was cut in half, the stump was unnaturally long.

Luke narrowed his eyes. He lifted his hood over his head and made a dash for the shadows.

***

"Why do you need this?"

Luke thought only people who were going to die will have a flashback of their life. But Luke had one then when his friend— his once best friend —flashed his furious, accusing gaze down at him. Luke remembered the past, how they first met, how everything began... how everything fell apart. 

If only you knew what they were planning for you... 

With effort, Luke let out his best smirk, "It was a careful selection." 

He saw the subtle change in Jason's expression and he knew Jason understood the hidden meaning. They were too familiar with each other, the way Jason worked, the way Luke worked... 

"I can burn you to ashes."

Luke hadn't expected to meet Jason so soon. He also didn't expect Jason to be hidden here in an ambush. Had they known their plan? Did they see through their act? 

Luke tried to swallow but his throat was tight beneath Jason's grip, and they were growing warm. He was going to burn him. He could burn him. But Luke saw the conflict in his friend's copper gaze. Jason had always been the same. He was the one who was mischievous but never strayed from his principles. While Luke himself? A hypocrite. Something ironic and disastrous. Something that is hopeless. 

There was no turning back anymore. Even after what he found out. He was used. And now, he awaits the judgement of the upper, if they no longer trusted him. 

"I should bring you in, but this time, I won't."

The hand loosened and Luke gasped for breath. He held his neck but felt no scar or burn there. Jason flipped in the air, conjured a flame ball sending the boat stirring and moving. Luke moved to the edge, watching as Jason dived into the water. 

Now, they were even. Somehow, Luke personally wished that he owed him one.

A/N

Last chapter in my works and unfortunately, writer's block got me hard. This is going to be a looong hold. Always had a little trouble with Snowfall and I thank you for your support and patience. 😊 I appreciate it so much.