Doing Some Good

Jason just accomplished something called lightning. He leaped in delight and ran indoors in search of his friend. Ms Kate insisted Luke stay in the classroom to "meditate", to clear his thoughts when needed. Jason didn't understand how it was possible— nor did Luke.

"Just pretend!" Jason said to him, and Luke glanced to the side, then smiled slowly. Luke was always the one more reluctant to break the rules.

When he got in the classroom, it was not the sight he expected.

Luke's alarm and fear was written all over his face. He was tense, shrunk in the corner of the room, his hip stabbed by nearby cabinets. All Jason could hear was his wheezing breath.

"Yo! Luke?"

"S-stay back."

"What?"

"Did you hear it?"

"Hear what?"

"The wolves..." he breathed, his dark eyes darting around the room, unable to locate what he was searching for. "They were everywhere. They wanted me dead!"

"You're so not making sense..." Jason uttered a small, cautious laugh. He looked to the side, then to the other. There was nothing. "Come on, I'm so hungry!"

"I'm serious, I'm serious..." He breathed in gasps and Jason started to grow worried as Luke began to slide down to the floor. "They'll come back."

"I... I'll call Ms Kate."

"No! No don't!"

"But I don't know what to do!" Jason was already turning. "We have to get her!"

Jason's mind began drifting as he studied in the library, researching about an essay due in a few days. He wasn't sure why he was thinking about the past. But Eira was right, it was impossible to go back to old times.

***

"Exactly what are we doing?"

Jayden, Nick and Jason were huddled together on higher grounds, a cliff overlooking the dock below.

"We've been doing the same thing for the past three days," Nick stated factually.

"But this Angel-Angela-Ann-something person hasn't appeared."

"After so long, Jay..." Jason sighed, "you're still the same."

"Of course, otherwise you wouldn't like me so much."

Nick made a sound of amusement, and the boys went silent.

"I've been hearing things around school," Nick started, his eyes stuck on three points: dock, ocean, and the rocky stairs. "People say that since the school has valuable artifacts and things that stretch back into Lady Kallo's times, people have been smuggling them out."

"How does no one find out?"

"They're small things. The big one's weren't attempted," Nick shifted his shoulders, breathing as he relieved the tension in his limbs. "Maybe the upper has a hand in this. They might get a share in it too."

Jason rolled his eyes, "Is there any place where there isn't something dark and dirty?"

"Nope," Jayden helpfully inputted, tugging the mask higher on his nose bridge. "Usually something sacred always get tarnished by the later generations."

"Like us?"

"Potentially," Jayden stretched his neck. "I wouldn't leave myself out as a villain. Maybe one day I decide to retire as the hero for once."