Pollen

Stanley held the few pieces of paper in front of him. He was trying his hardest not to shake. It seemed as though reality was altered right at that moment, the reports had a lot of things about him. His physical injuries, data analysis on his powers, and the aftermath of the injury. That didn't surprise him. What was tested on him, surprised him. What they were going to use it for, surprised him. 

"He was..." Stanley managed to find his voice, "He was creating a new power that never existed before. How's this possible!" 

"With Eden Bronwen you can." Mrs Kate added. She eyed the boys, now surrounding a coffee table. They've been contemplating over this for an hour. 

"But... she's gone now, isn't she?" Stanley lowered his voice. 

"Yes, from the body dug out from Jason's burnt house. She's dead."

Justin let out a big breath of relief. 

"So without her... how's this still possible?" Davis asked. 

"Because she's already done what she needed to do." Stanley's eyes scanned the daily log from one of the Gataria scientists quickly. 

It is a remarkable discovery. That the sample collected from Evan's villain den, it was pollen, from an ordinary species of flowers called Genivique. Commonly known as The Giver. Without a person's special power creating abilities, The Giver is useless and is merely a piece of daisy in the field. Eden Bronwen however proved to us that she had transformed this flower into something much more interesting... 

"Erm... I have to give credit to whoever wrote this. They still manage to write something humorous despite knowing there could be a potential war outbreak soon." Stanley raised the paper. 

Mrs. Kate let out a small laugh, "We've got to have someone who's positive in the cynical times, correct?"

"Precisely." Justin pointed and affirmed with a nod. 

Bronwen's powers are more than extraordinary. With the right materials, the right amount of her own excess power, the right amount of her own force and pressure from her abilities, she can create any power she wishes and transfer that power to anyone she wishes. However, one limitation of this is that, she cannot use the power she had created herself. An architect who had designed an architecture, yet they could only admire it from a distance, and walk away and never come back again. 

"And this part, about the architect. It's good." Davis pointed. 

"Now, let Stanley finish, please." Mrs. Kate sipped on her tea. 

The biggest threat is that this power must've already been created and transferred to Evans, we assume that he wants this done quickly. Before this transformation, they must test a small dose of it on someone. Many cannot survive this experiment. However, one candidate had. Please see appendix attachment four, with the information on the candidate. 

Stanley swallowed and felt coldness spread on his back. 

Appendix Four 

Stanley Ross

...

Blood test results:

- new formula inserted (unknown)

- matches one chemical found in 'The Giver'

- side effects: unknown 

- treatment: unknown 

"Well..." Stanley let out a breath, "this is comforting."

"Have you been feeling anything lately?" Mrs. Kate's brow furrowed in concern. 

"No... the healers also say I'm recovering fine. They haven't found anything." Stanley shrugged, "What they did. They tested if they could transfer the power on someone without killing them." 

Mrs. Kate's lips thinned. She nodded.

"And candidates... there were more?" 

Everyone was silent. Mrs. Kate let out a sigh and nodded. 

"How many?" 

"Stanley-"

"How many?" He pushed. 

Mrs. Kate breathed, "Five. Five candidates and you were the sixth."

"And they all..." Stanley didn't need to say the rest.

"Yes. Each time the formula fails, Eden alters it bit by bit. They choose the best of the Ryders in hopes they'll get through it."

"How do they not notice them missing?" Davis sat forward in his chair. He rubbed his dark hair back and looked at Stanley. "There's no news about it at all." 

"They disappear from time to time. There's always a long gap in between." Mrs. Kate said, "Everyone thought it was a cold case. And they disappear from different areas. They can't seem to make a connection."

"Stupid defence department," Davis muttered, "They should really fire a few in Gataria. We suck."

"Hush now, Davis." Mrs. Kate warned. "They've tried their best."

"Some of them are corrupt." Justin commented quietly.

"I survived it..." Stanley's small whisper cut their conversation off, "That means the formula worked. It finally worked. Now... now they're going to use it."

Davis have a pat on his shoulder. "Cap..."

"We don't even know what it's going to be like. We have no defence against them." Stanley muttered, "I wouldn't have survived if Jason's team didn't arrive. They would've killed me off once they know it works."

Davis let out a breath, "Why can the blood test not tell us?" 

"Remember, it's completely new. A new power that has never existed before." Mrs. Kate continued.

"But Stanley has part of it in him now!" Davis started eyeing Stanley warily. "Are you absolutely sure you don't feel anything?" 

"Cut it out Davis, so far... I don't." Stanley looked at his hand. He closed his fist and a warm fire spread across it, the blue tongue licked the air and disappeared. 

"And it seems fine too." Justin placed his hand on his chin, "This... is difficult."

Davis let out a huff at Justin. "You think!" 

"What do we do now?" Stanley asked. "Humans are up on our heels, now Evans..."

Mrs. Kate stayed silent for a while. All eyes were on her, awaiting for her final call. In all honesty, she was a bit stuck too. One hand, humans and Gataria boarders, and the other... Evans, the one who has a powerful, unknown power within him. 

"And why was it so painful too..." She heard Stanley whisper. It was almost inaudible. 

"What?" Davis asked. 

"Nothing..."

"Go home, boys. I need to think this through. The department already know what's ahead of him and preparation has already begun."

"The humans then? I've heard a few of us have been arrested and they're asking questions." Stanley threw his reports on the table and stood up, "We've got to do something with them as well. I don't want to believe people will betray our location, but you can't guarantee that some Ryders won't." 

"It will be discovered sooner or later." Mrs. Kate shook her head, "It's unavoidable. That's why there are going to be negotiations. If the negotiation doesn't work, then it's war. War with the humans. War with Evans."

"One is already too much, not two... please." Davis rubbed his face. 

"Who's going to negotiate?" Stanley furrowed. 

Mrs. Kate took one sip of her tea and placed it down. "One of the higher officials in Gataria. You'll know eventually."

Stanley swallowed and gave a nod.

Mrs. Kate looked at them, with a softer gaze, she urged again, "Go home..."