Chapter 5: River

I've broken up with Lyla for her what the hell is wrong with me. But I'd be lying if I said she wasn't a good friend.

Right now I was working at the bookstore and she had a pile of books in her hand.
" This store had become my favorite now." She smiled. " thank you I guess."

" you done?"

She nodded and I grabbed the books out of her hands. " $50. 21"

She handed me the exact change, I looked at her weirdly before taking it. " who pays exact change anymore?"
" I don't want to make it hard on you." She smiled. Jesus. She's too sweet. To nice.

" Whatever."

" Are you going on break soon we can hang out?"

I nodded as I bagged her books. " what do you have in mind?" God, she was getting to me.

" well, you know the mini-golf place on Bellevue?" I grabbed her receipt and placed it in the bag. " yeah."

" my family owns it, you know how your family owns this place?" I just nodded.
" We could go there I got get us in for free, wouldn't that be fun, it's going to be really fun. Buts thats if you say yes, which I'm hoping you will..."

" will you shut up that pretty mouth of yours if I say yes?" I leaned over the counter. She nodded with a huge grin on her face.

"I'll be in the parking lot!" She rushed out the door and I watched her sit on the bench outside, opening one of her books. She must have taken the bus again.

I finished my shift 15 minutes later and I met her outside. " come on grace." I snapped her out of the focus of her book.

As she looked up the bus was coming around the corner. She stood up with her book, still reading it as we crossed the street. Due to me being taller I was steps ahead of her. I heard a honk and turned my head. She was too busy having her head in that stupid book that she wasn't paying attention.

The car was swerving, they were out of control. I might as well save her.

The car was seconds from hitting her when I pulled her waist and she fell into my chest. The car crashed into a fire hydrant.

Her hands braced herself on my chest and she looked up at me doe-eyed. " you have to stop reading and walking."

I let her go and she gathered herself. "S-sorry." She placed the book in her painted tote bag and gave me a gracious smile.

Fuck me already.