chapter nine: date

Saekyong, the older sister of Jinkyong, turns to the younger that has been sitting at her desk for hours in a row.
"You good there, sis? Your a$$ isn't glued to the chair, is it?"

  Jinkyong shakes her head with eyes stuck to her phone.
"I'm cool, it's just, I don't know what to do."

  "For what?" The other asks and approaches- seeing what her sister has been staring at.
"'사랑(.◜◡◝)' Who is this?"

(a/n: '사랑(.◜◡◝)' = 'love(.◜◡◝)')

  Kyo emits a small sigh as she continues to burn her gaze into the contact name. "Jeno."

  "You save his contact as 'love,' huh?"

  "No," Jinkyong answers monotonously, sarcasm dripping heavily.

  "You wanna text him or something?"

  "I do but, I don't know what to say. What if he thinks I'm interrupting, a busybody... or something?" The younger worries and her sister can see the gloom in her dark eyes.

  Saekyong pats her shoulders. "Oh, sister. Oh, sweet, sweet sister. Don't think too much about it. Sometimes, you just gotta go with it, you know? Who knows? Maybe, he's waiting for you to text him too."

  "Butㅡ"

  "Nope, no buts. The only 'buts' I'm allowing here at this moment are those two cheeks of yours that have been squashed for hours now. You better start moving before they flatten out."

  "Says you," Kyo scoffs and gets a kick from her sister.
"Ow!"

  Saekyong smirks proudly. "Legs of a choreographer, don't underestimate them."

  Kyo glares yet, with a smile at her sister as she walks out, leaving the younger alone in her room.

  Jinkyong goes back to staring at the screen and she inhales and exhales deeply before typing a set of words.

  Meanwhile, in Dream's dorm.

  Jeno turns to his phone at its chime and his eyes instantly brighten and widen to see a text from Jinkyong.

  His heart thumps loudly as his mind wonders the possibility of what her text would be and he presses the notification.

[kyo🦋]:
sorry for being so sudden but, i was wondering, where did you buy your bucket hat from?

  Jeno blinks blankly at the message. Of all the sentences he could think of, this is not one of them.

  Unbeknownst to him, the girl is also, questioning her choice and is busy suffocating herself with her pillow.

  Well, at least, her butt's off the chair.

  She jolts back up when her phone chimes.

[사랑(.◜◡◝)]:
I don't know actually 😅
The company gave it

  Jinkyong shrugs before typing a response.

[kyo🦋]:
aww, then, it's fine then
thanks for telling me tho

  It honestly doesn't really matter. She isn't really searching for a bucket hat but she wasn't capable of thinking of a proper conversation starter without making it seem like she's prying into his life.

  She drops back her face into the fluffiness of her pillow- dispirited now that she doesn't know what to say to keep the chat going.

  But her worries are blown away when she sees the other party is still online and typing something up for her.

사랑(.◜◡◝) is typing...

사랑(.◜◡◝) is typing...

  Kyo blinks and blinks again and again but the status still remains, '사랑(.◜◡◝) is typing...'

  At some points, it even pauses for a while before continuing then, it repeats the same thing like a neverending cycle.

  It's actually starting to build up her anxiety- thinking that he's forcing himself to send a response due to the pressure of her still being online.

  Should she just go?

  Her fingers tighten around the gadget and she decides to stay for a few more hopeful seconds before she exits.

  Ding!

  Jinkyong gasps.

[사랑(.◜◡◝)]:
I know some great shops that have nice bucket hats, though
Do you need help finding one?

[kyo🦋]:
sure!! i'd really appreciate it ^^

  Upon reading each other's text, their heart rates begin to accelerate, thumps become louder, cheeks and ears start to flush red.

  Are we going to have... a date?