chapter twenty-six: father?

Jinkyong neatens the collar of Jeno's coat and smiles nervously at him. "Just act like how you usually do. If his questions get too rude or nosy, you don't have to answer them if you don't want to."

  Jeno can feel the tremble of her hands and holds them in his tightly. "Okay. Don't worry too much. As long as you're here, I'm not scared."

  The girl can't toss back a sassy comment at his cheesiness like she usually does but it does calm her anxiousness by a slight.

  "Thank you," she says and knocks on the door to announce her arrival.

  Not a moment later, the door is opened by Miya and she ushers the couple in benignly but right after going through her, the warmth they felt instantly vanishes and is replaced by a bitter chill.

  Jihan stares at them with not a single hint of cordiality and Jeno feels his soul leaving at the frigid glare he scrutinizes him with.

  "Father, meet my boyfriend," she tells and Jeno bows.

  "Hello, Mr.Oh. My name's Lee Jeno. It's nice to meet you," he says before standing back up straight to face his stern mien again.

  Jihan hums contemptuously. "I can't say I feel the same."

  The younger's chest throbs at the displeased tone. Clearly, Jinkyong's father has not given him his blessing but to think that he loathes the idea so much makes terrible thoughts to flood.

  "I-I see. I'm sorry," Jeno apologizes with clenched fists when Miya intercepts.

  She holds her husband's arm as if to calm him. "Oh, don't be! He's just a little moody today. You don't have to apologize."

  Despite her words, the look on Jiha's face suggests otherwise as he continues to bore him with his dour stare.

  "Let's all sit," he says and the couples sit facing each other in the living room.
"So Jeno, what do you work as?"

  Jinkyong grits her teeth at the question. This is exactly what she's afraid of. Showing Jeno's face is already a big wall to go over and now her father's digging for more information.

  "An idol, sir," Jeno answers and the older man cocks up his brow.

  "Oh, really? So all you do is to act pretty?" He hisses and Kyo instantly shoots him a bitter look.

  She snaps. "Don't be so rude."

  Her father's scowl deepens. "'Rude?' I was merely making sure your partner is proper enough for you or not."

  "You're the one who's being impropㅡ" She's stopped by Jeno's squeeze on her hand.

  "Yes, sir. We... act pretty but, that's not all we do. We also give our very best to perform and make our fans' days better," he says with an eyesmile still worn.

  Jinkyong looks at him worriedly but, seeing as its his choice to answer, she decides to be silent.

  "Oh, of course, entertainment. Your presentation is undoubtedly valuable but-" Jiha pauses and takes a sip of his coffee. "Are you?"

  Jeno's undying smile wavers at his ruthless words and Kyo's patience ultimately dries.

  She rises to her feet. "Stop it, please! Why do you have to be so vicious? All I wanted was to introduce him to my family and you're ruining it!"

  Jiha stands, looming over her with an enraged mien. "You should've known that I wouldn't give my blessing!"

  "You haven't even got to know him! I was hoping that, at least, we could have a decent conversation!" Jinkyong argues and Jeno holds her hand.

  He looks up at her with a downcasted look. "Kyo, please... I'm fine."

  She whips her head to him who still sits timidly on the couch and she can see instantly that he's not okay. Not the slightest bit.

  The faint tremble of his grip on her hand proves her speculation.

  She frowns. Bullsh!t.

  "Now, look at what's happening! We're both raising our voices at each other all because of a foolish boy!" Jiha points disdainfully at Jeno and that strikes him- his hold tightening around Jinkyong's and she feels it.

  Miya quickly tries pulling her husband away. "Jiha, stop! You're being too much! This is no way to treat our guest or any other person whatsoever!"

  She gasps when he abrasively retrieves his arm from her.

  "You call him our guest?? He's a worthless pest!" The man shouts and Jeno flinches- the hurt and shame doubling with each second that passes.

  Jinkyong glares furiously at her father, her rage overflowing and she steps up to him. "He's 'worthless?' WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT WORTH, YOU HEARTLESS MONSㅡ"

  SLAP!

  THUD!

  Her father's large palm hits her cheek without restraint and she drops harshly onto the floor.

  "AND YOU'RE NO BETTER!" He roars. "WHAT KIND OF DAUGHTER DISOBEYS HER FATHER??"

  "Kyo!" Jeno rushes to help and crouches to her- putting her arm on his shoulders and lifting her up.

  Her head hangs low and although, they can't see what expression she wears, her shiny tears that fall and the violent shiver of her figure tell.

  "Jinkyong," Jeno calls faintly, terribly concerned when she starts trudging to her parents, her dad, specifically, and lifting her chin up to face him.

  Her eyes are bloodshot as heavy tears unceasingly flow down her cheeks that are flushed red- the spot he slapped being more darker than the rest.

  The ruthless stare she gives is vitriolic, a gaze not suited for a father but more of a mortal enemy with a hatred immeasurable.

  And with those eyes that lack affection or even a hint of warmth, she speaks.

  "I disobeyed no father."