chapter fourty-nine: lady and gentleman

SM ENTERTAINMENT REFUSES TO
RELEASE STATEMENT ON NCT JENO'S
RESPONSE TOWARDS GIRLFRIEND
CLAIMS

NCTZENS AND ANTIFANS ARGUE
PUBLICLY IN SOCIAL MEDIA
REGARDING NCT JENO AND HIS SAID
GIRLFRIEND

NCTZENS ARE UPSET WITH NCT JENO'S
CONFESSION- THEY CALL HIM
'TACTLESS JENOJAM'

'MERAKI,' NCT JENO'S SUPPOSED
GIRLFRIEND HAS NOT RELEASED ANY
SORT OF RESPONSE TO THE PUBLIC AND
REMAINS ANONYMOUS

FANS PRETENDING TO BE 'MERAKI (NCT
JENO'S GIRLFRIEND)' HAVE INCREASED
RAPIDLY THROUGH THROUGHOUT
SOCIAL MEDIA

[SCANDALOUS!] RUMORS THAT NCT JENO
AND HIS GIRLFRIEND ARE ALREADY
LIVING TOGETHER BREAKS THE
INTERNET

NCT JENO CURRENTLY IN ABRUPT
HIATUS

Jisung reads through the listless juicy articles on Renjun's phone as the latter scrolls up and up which leads down and down where more articles pop up.

"The ratio of negative and positive views is..." Renjun doesn't continue due to the unfortunate reality and just look at the other DREAM members who are returning the same, worried gaze.

Their arms crossed, some leaning against the wall while some sitting cross-legged in the dorm's living room.

  "Where is he even?" Mark asks and turns to Jaemin who shrugs.

  Donghyuck sighs frustratedly. "None of us know and neither can we know because the company took Jeno's phone. They don't know where he is either that's why the sudden hiatus."

  "Maybe, he's at his family's place?" Chenle, who lives at his own place, guesses and the members shake their heads.

"He wouldn't have gone there, not when he knows that the company would search there first," Renjun answers.

Jisung sighs. "Then, where could he be??"

-

TACK!

A dart pierces the red mark on its board.

"Bullseye!" Jinkyong cheers and goes to take another dart from the table while her boyfriend watches her every move.

It's been a few days since the public announcement and although, none of the two brought it up again, they both know they're stressing about it.

  First, SM is denying his claim. Second, there's a virtual war ongoing in the socials from the supporters and haters of Jeno and Jinkyong. Third, the both of them are being hunted like sheep against wolves. Fourth, they aren't able to leave the house in order to keep each other safe (although honestly, their introverted selves have been liking this condition but still).

  "Jinkyong," Jeno calls and she turns. He pats his thigh and she approaches to sit with him- letting him scoop her up into his lap before he buries his nose into her shoulder.
"I'm sorry for letting it all lead up to this... I should've thought things through."

A long silence follows before his girlfriend emits a long, deep sigh.

He flinches, sweating in nervousness. Did I say something wrong?

"Jeno Lee, if you apologize one more time, you're gonna be the dartboard next."

He gulps but calms when her hand reaches to rest on his head.

"I've been doing some thinking and I was wondering if it would've been better if we just show ourselves," Jinkyong says and he sits up straight to meet her face to face.
"If we just reveal ourselves being together than it'll clear all the misunderstandings, right?"

  Worry swirls in Jeno's soft yet, intense gaze. "Kyo, that's dangerous. If they know who you are—"

  "What's the difference? You already told them who I am."

  "I know, but they still can't figure out exactly who you are. They don't know how you look like, your name and anything else. But if they do, I can't even imagine what they'll be planni—"

  "Jeno, you once told me that you're sorry you couldn't give me the opportunity for me to brave. But now you have- and I'm not going to waste it. I might be able to live in this hole forever but you're a different story. I'm not letting you he cooped up here."

With that, she walks into her room and after what sounds like a plane crash and earthquake all at once from inside her room, she struts out looking fresh and stunning.

"How did—" Jeno stammers, looking back and forth from her to the room. She grins with her handbag hanging on the crook of her arm.

"Alright, I'm ready for my debut," she breathes out with a spark in her eyes and walks to the door- until, a large hand wraps itself around hers. She sighs.
"Jeno, if you're trying to stop me, I suggest you give it up now."

Despite her bold words, the tremble of her hand and subtle quiver of her voice express otherwise and Jeno taps his head on hers with a playful smile on his lips.

"Who said I was stopping you?"

With that one sentence, he twists the knob and holds his hand out for her to take. Gentle eyes fix on her tenderly and a brow arches with harmless mischief.
"M'lady?"

Jinkyong studies his unwavering charm and confidence before scoffing and accepting his hand.
"Thank you, good sir."

Tightly, he holds her as he slowly knits their fingers together.