chapter thirty-two: d-day

D-day.

  Or more accurately, supposed D-day for Jeno and Jinkyong to break up. But now, it's become the day where they decide to completely reject that idea and bravely announce to Jiha about it.

  "I still think we should've decided to meet at a more private place," Jinkyong says with a worried pout as she scans the cafe.

  It's not the most crowded but it's situated at a place where many stores are also at. On its right is a clothing shop, on the left is a restaurant and across the street is a shopping mall.

  "He won't be able to hit you if we were in a public place," Jeno reasons and he sees her inhaling, ready to spout out another of her, "But, I'm fine with it!" arguments.

  He quickly puts a finger to his masked lips. "I know what you're going to say but, I stand with my choice. You won't let me protect you because I'm going to get myself hurt and I won't let you protect me because you're going to be in pain.
  "We both have the same views so there's no need to argue about this."

  Jinkyong pulls her lips to a line and Jeno chuckles, his hand reaching out to pinch her cheek.

  "Hey!" She smacks his hand and he hisses at the sting.

  "You two seem sweet for people who are supposed to break up," Jiha suddenly says and shows up beside their table. 

  The couple turn to him and Jeno immediately stands out of being polite towards Jinkyong's father although, many might argue about his worthiness for respect.

  "Please sit, sir," Jeno ushers for him to take the seat between them both while Jinkyong just stays cold, not wanting to even look at her father's face.

  "So, I assume you've told him all about it," Jiha says to Kyo and she nods with her hand gripping on her cup, slightly nervous despite her rigid expression.

  She lifts her eyes to him. "Yes, I did. And the reason we came here together is because we want to tell you that we don't want to follow your orders."

  It's obvious that her statement infuriates him as Jiha's mien begins to twist.

  "Excuse me? Do you not remember of the photo?"

  "About that, sir, I was the one who strongly refused to oblige. I wanted this path and so whatever you do with that photo, whatever result it may bring, I'll handle it," Jeno claims boldly, confident with his decision which only grows Jiha's flames more.

  Jinkyong flinches when Jiha whips his head to her, dissatisfied with how things turned out and Jeno quickly holds her by the arm.

  The oldest scowls at the sight of contact and Jeno can't hide the clear irritation on his face which he belatedly covers with a faint, half-hearted smile as to not antagonize.

  "I'm sorry that we can't have a meal together despite calling you until out here but for now, I think Jinkyong needs a bit of time to herself," Jeno excuses both him and Kyo out before standing and escorting the girl out of the cafe- leaving an agitated Jiha alone.

  As soon as she leaves the shop, it's like the air's become lighter, plentiful and she can finally breathe properly.

  A hand gently rubs her back as she pants, exhausted albeit having done nothing depleting.

  "Are you feeling better? Do you want to rest somewhere first?" Jeno bends down to her height to ask softly and she shakes her head.

  "No, I don't want to. The more further we are from him, the better I'll feel," Jinkyong replies and grips onto Jeno's hand to cross the street while the light's still red when another grips onto her wrist.

  "Let go!" She exclaims with distress even before seeing the figure but Jiha only tightens his hold.

  "Come home, right now. You have no future with this performer," her father demands, his words unvarnished and his expression as hard as stone.

  Jinkyong snatches her arm back and glares with genuine abhorrence towards him. "How can you say something like that?? We're our own individuals, let us do what we want! You're the obsessed maniac who chose to marry his job!
  "Don't drag others into it!"

  Jeno defensively guards her with his arm as she spoke, having no right to stop her from what she wants to say and only after she finishes does he clasps her hand in his- pulling her away from the horrible parental figure to ease her stress but, Jiha's stubbornness is unrivalled.

  "Oh Jinkyong! You listen to your father right now! I raised you and this is how you repay me?? I'm only doing this because I know what's best for you and that...boy is not it!"

  Passersby can't help but murmur and whisper at the drama that's unfolding in front of their eyes but thanks to Jeno's disguise, no one recognises him.

  "Don't talk about him as if he's a pest. There's only one here and it's neither him nor I. You want me to repay you? Fine. I will and once I'm done, the tie between is no longer valid because after all, I'd be no longer indebted to you, will I?" She hisses at Jiha whose knuckles turn white from his clenched fists.

  Just when the couple think he's given up, he marches to them with a cunning smirk on his face, like he's got something up his sleeve.

  "Did you forget where you are, right now?"

  Kyo furrows, puzzled and he continues.

  "You're in public, child. I wonder what will happen if I announce right now that this man standing among us is a celebrity?"

  Her eyes widen and she suddenly feels as if the whole world is watching her, observing and cheering for her defeat.

  Jeno instantly wraps his arm around her and leans to whisper. "It's okay. We'll just leave."

  He quickens his pace to the zebra crossing with the petrified girl in his protective embrace until Jiha who has been tailing them from behind abruptly, exclaims.

  "Oh! Wait a minute, aren't you that celebrity??"

  Jeno and Jinkyong's heartbeats race erratically as the people around begin to pause in the tracks to look at Jeno who Jiha points to.

  What will happen if the idol's name is spoken now? Sure, he's disguised but that will only make Jiha's claim more believable.

   But then, it should be okay if Jiha said it, right? Even if he didn't, he'd still have that picture to post of Jeno.

  Compared to the picture, though, seeing him walking with a girl live in front of people's eyes will be more definite and impactful, won't it?

  This would affect Jeno...a whole lot, won't it?

  All these thoughts rush into Jinkyong's head within a mere blink and she sets her sharp stare at Jiha who feigns surprise.

  "Ah! You're Leeㅡ"

  Call it concern, panic, foolishness, madness- anything you want because even Kyo can't think clearly but at that moment, all she wants to do is to make sure Jeno's identity remains shielded.

  "Kyo!" He shouts when she sprints away to her dad to stop him but just like every show out there, it won't be a drama without a little tragedy.

  The traffic lights flicker red and a loud, resonating honk resounds in the air.