chapter fourty-five: tiger's den

Ding~ Dong~ Daeng~

  "Attention to all customers, our store will be closing in the next 10 minutes..."

  Jinkyong reads the label of the salad containers carefully, leisurely despite the announcement. It's during times like this when the store is silent and vacant can she truly enjoy shopping.

  "Ooh, this one's fresh," she giddily says to herself and puts the packet of assorted vegetables into her basket.

  She swivels, about to walk away from the cold section but is hindered by an all-too-familiar voice.

  "Kyo...?"

  The girl halts in her tracks, heart thumping out of its cage and throat tightening. Mother.

  "It is you!" Miya gasps and runs to her daughter, embracing her with a hold so tight, her bones could crack. Desperate.

  But the daughter doesn't reciprocate, she doesn't know what to do.

  Miya pulls away and stares at her face. "Wow, it's been a while! How have you been doing?"

  "I've been well, much better than before," Jinkyong replies sincerely and it seems to strike the other with guilt.

  "Much better than before..."

  Clearly, she means she's happier now that she's left the family home. Has it ever even been 'home' to her?

  "That's great... I'm glad to hear that," the mother comments and her hand lifts as if to hold her daughter's hand but it stops midway before falling limp.
"I was planning on making your favourite today for dinner. Maybe, you could drop by and join us?"

  Jinkyong's fingers curl to a fist and hides inside her pocket, a small smile on her face. "I might be busy. There's a lot I still need to edit."

  "O-oh, I see..." Miya sounds, obviously disappointed but neither does she force her daughter.
"Well, it's nice seeing you but we should really hurry since the store's about to close."

  She waves her hand feebly and pushes her trolley in haste, as if staying a second more with her daughter will cause her to break down in tears.

  Jinkyong watches as she furthers away and her heartstrings tug, urging her to hug the other.

  "Wait," she suddenly says, now being the one to surprise and jogs to the older woman to help her push her shopping cart.
"I think I can join the dinner tonight. But under one condition."

  Miya looks at her daughter who keeps facing the front, not meeting her gaze.
"What is it?"

-

  "Remember, if you're even the slightest bit uncomfortable, we can walk out, okay? I don't want you getting too stressedㅡ"

  "Jeno, they're literally my parents. I think I should be the one saying that to you," Jinkyong cuts him off and he pouts, shoulders slumping.

  He stands back straight. "Still. I'm not gonna let anything happen to you, okay?"

  Jinkyong tilts her head, confused. She must've forgotten about how her own father slapped her since her memories are still slowly coming back.

  But to Jeno, it's hauntingly vivid- from the clear-cut sound to how she dropped to the ground, everything is still as bright as day for him.

  Just thinking about it makes him boil.

  "Welcome! Welcome, Kyo, Jeno!" Miya, as always, greets the two with enthusiasm although, a noticeable wariness lied underneath.

  Jinkyong offers a small smile but hesitates to enter. She stares into the place, afraid to pass by its doorframe- is it normal to feel so anxious and unnerved to enter one's family house?

  It feels like the mouth of a tiger's den.

  A squeeze on her hand brings her out of her thoughts and she turns to Jeno who's greeting her mother- eyes not on her but the reassuring hold he has on her hand tells that he is in fact, looking out for her.

  And so, Jinkyong takes her first step in.