chapter twelve: head of the house

The door to Jinkyong's luxury apartment closes and the sound of it pulls her mother's attention.

  "Kyo, is that you?" Miya, her mother, shouts from their kitchen that's just beside their vast living room.

  Although, Miya is a stay-at-home mother, they've got more than plenty in their finance due to her husband being a high executive at work.

  "Yes, mom!" Jinkyong replies back and heads to the kitchen. She leans against the doorframe of their wide sliding doors and watches her mom cook behind the sparkling, marble counter.
"Is dad still at work? I thought he was having half the day off today."

  Miya nods without averting her gaze away from her boiling kimchi tuna soup as she puts in vegetables.
"He was but, you know how your dad is. He told me he got an opportunity to reach a higher status so he's giving it his best."

  If only she lifted her head, she would see the pure detest on her daughter's face towards the information.

  Jinkyong has never understood her father's greed to have to get the highest spot. Yes, it's good, beneficial and brings more money but for what?

  They have enough and him doing this is costing family time.

  "I'm gonna change," the girl says dispiritedly and goes to her bedroom- dropping onto her mattress instantly.

  That's when her phone chimes.

  사랑(.◜◡◝) has sent you an image!

사랑(.◜◡◝):

kyo 🦋:thank you|

kyo 🦋:
thank you|

  Jinkyong stares at the unsent text. Is it too early to give a heart?

  Not wanting to go over the top but still wanting to show that she holds affection for him, she decides to go with,

kyo 🦋:
thank you <3

  Her head bobs in satisfaction and she turns to her door at the sound of the doorbell. Father.

  Jinkyong exits to greet the head of the house and as usual, he strides with a strict posture, face stern and not a hint of a smile is present.

  "Welcome home, honey," Miya greets and pecks his cheek to which he reciprocates.

  Jinkyong smiles faintly with a soft wave of her hand. "Hey, dad."

  "Oh, you're already home early. What did you do today?" Her father asks as he puts down his book bag and takes off his blazer.

  "Just the usual. I edited and fixed some tunes- managed to finish some too!" The girl excitedly tells but only gets the usual, toneless hum and not even a glance.

  Jinkyong furthers away naturally- blue, until the sound of her phone distracts her.

사랑(.◜◡◝):
Youre welcome (.◜◡◝)

  The gloom dissipates and her lips upturn softly at the eyesmile.

  "Who's that?"

  Her father's voice, however, urges it to fall within a blink.
"One of my clients."

  Thankfully, her father doesn't pry- at least, not when it doesn't involve him and he ambles to the dining table with Kyo following behind for dinner.

  "Will you pass me the water, please?" Miya asks Saekyong, her oldest daughter who came home just in time for dinner earlier.

  The daughter nods and does as requested before she focuses on eating again.

  And it makes her notice her sister whose attention is on her phone.

kyo🦋:
oh, and thanks for the drinks too!
that cafe was a really nice place •0•

랑(.◜◡◝):
Don't mention it
Next time, you should be the
one paying ㅋㅋㅋ

  Saekyong breaks into a grin at the conversation her silently giddy sister is having and continues her meal.

  Left unknown by the smiley Jinkyong is that Jeno also, wears a bright smile on his face as he reads her text.

  Her chosen emoticon, •0•, making him imagine her copying it and the image causes his insides turn fuzzy.