chapter eleven: warm

Small spoons emit small thuds against their wooden bowls as Jeno and Jinkyong contentedly scoop up their patbingsu (shaved ice with milk, red beans and a few other condiments) into their mouths.

  After spending time touring around the hat shops Jeno recommended- in fact, a lengthy period, much to their satisfaction, Jinkyong finally finds something she wants.

  It's not a bucket hat, though. But something similar which is more to her style.

  "Can you wear it? I want to see how it looks like again," Jeno requests from Jinkyong- both less tense and relaxed now that they're in s private cafe room, away from the prying eyes of many.

  Kyo bends to pull out her newly purchased item from its bag and puts it on her head.
"How does it look?"

  "Pretty," Jeno compliments with a bright smile.
"You made the right choice."

  "Thanks for paying for it. I'll take this as a gift for our official first day of being friends," she says gratefully and Jeno smiles, happy he decided to buy it for her. "Can you take a picture of me with it?"

  His eyes search the table for her phone but find none. "Should I just take it with my phone?"

  "Ah, right! Handphone..." Jinkyong mumbles and twists to unzip her sling bag but gets lazy midway.
"You know what? Just take it with your phone and send it later on."

  Jeno bobs his head again. "Alright. Let me just warn you, I'm not as good as Jaemin."

  Light chuckles escape him and from her too before he proceeds with the countdown.

  "Okay, in 3, 2, 1-"

  CLICK!

  Jeno stares at the picture, clearly admiring it from the way his bright eyes attentively scan the details.

  "How is it?" Jinkyong asks and moves over to his side.

  "Pretty," he says and she clicks her tongue.

  "You've been saying that since earlier," she states, having trust issues and Jeno gapes in betrayal at her distrust.

  He pouts. "But, I'm telling the truth."

  As soon as she sees the photo, she furrows.
"Why do I look so sad, though?"

  "Maybe, it's because you don't like this hangout," Jeno jokes and she gasps- shaking her head vigorously like it's the biggest, most terrible accusation she's ever heard

  "Of course, I like it! Do I seem like I don't?" She raps out- expressing her emotions clearly and Jeno laughs.

  His hand pats her head. "I was just kidding."

  She freezes although, his touch is warm and her heart palpitates- eyes slowly raising to meet with his and it's like she can turn into goo at any given second.

  And it seems like these feeling are not felt by her only as Jeno starts to feel his blood rush and hear the loud thrums of his heart.

  "Your hand is really warm," Jinkyong giggles when she pulls his hand away from her head so she can draw figures on his palm.

  Her giggles are mellow, music to his ears and it's like she's got this irresistible pull towards her that makes him unable to look away.

  "Yours too," he says and laces their fingers together and her eyes widened briefly in surprise before she looks up at him again- seeing him wear a charming smile.

  A smile she sees so often but, suddenly, it feels so different. Like it carries more meaning, more story and emotions.

  And this small, simple interaction makes it clear for both that they're here as 'friends' but share feelings more complex than what their relationship suggests.