1| 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗀𝗋𝗈𝗎𝗇𝖽

CHAPTER ONE:

THE GROUND

It's been ninety-seven years since a nuclear apocalypse killed everyone on Earth, leaving the planet simmering in radiation

It's been ninety-seven years since a nuclear apocalypse killed everyone on Earth, leaving the planet simmering in radiation. Fortunately, there were survivors. Twelve nations had operational space stations at the time of the bombs. There is now only the Ark, one station forged from the many. They were told the Earth needs another hundred years to become survivable again. Four more space-locked generations, and man can go home, back to the ground.

Y/n Murphy sat in her cell, a book in hand. The h/c girl had her legs crossed, back hunched while her e/c eyes scrolled through the many words on the pages in front of her. A shirt and pants hugged her body as her h/c hair was up in a messy ponytail, many hairs out of it's place.

For as long as she could remember, most of her life, she was kept hidden by her parents. The only people who knew about her, at the time, was her family. Before her parents died, she was kept hidden beneath a loose panel on one of the walls. And when her father was floated and her mother became a drunk, she was soon revealed one night by her mother when she was drunk off of alcohol.

For the longest time since she was a kid, she had been arrested and staying in her cell. She doesn't remember the last time she saw her brother was. But it was definitely a long while ago.

The silence suddenly faded away as the door to her cell opened up, revealing two guards walking inside.

"Prisoner 214, face the wall." One guard demands.

Y/n obeys, rising to her feet and turning her back to the two guards, gaze on the wall in front of her. Almost immediately, she became nervous, wondering what they needed. It wasn't lunch time or anything.

"What is this?" Y/n asks.

"Quiet." The guard orders. "Hold out your arm."

Glancing over her shoulder, her e/c eyes stop on a box full of metal wristbands. Her eyes widen in panic, mind going to something worse. She wasn't even eighteen yet. In fact, her brother was closer to eighteen than she was.

"Wait. It's not my time. I don't even turn eighteen yet." Y/n frantically states.

On the Ark, every crime, no matter how small, is punishable by death unless you're under eighteen.

Y/n exclaims many things as the guards come closer, one holding a wristband in his grip. Clenching her hands into fists, she pushes them back roughly, kicking them against the wall before quickly making her way out of the cell, revealing all the other prisoners being led out as well, some fighting, others giving in.

Juvenile offenders get put here-- lockup. They call it the Sky Box.

A door to her right opens up, revealing another guard. Eyes wide, Y/n begins to run the other way, only to stop when seeing two other guards standing there, side by side. She was trapped. Next thing she knew, one guard had ahold of her, feeling a sudden prick into her neck before her vision goes black.