5

Before the stadium was even in sight, the buzz of excited football fans carried through the air. Madelyn, Lily and Archie found their seats which, much to their surprise, were right behind one of the goals. The players were standing in the tunnel in eager anticipation, keeping their focus as they stepped out onto the pitch, not letting the roar of the fans distract them from their aim, which was of course to win. The goal in front of the three friends was the one that the opposing team were shooting in in the first half, and they could hear almost every word Jordan Pickford was shouting at his defenders.

By half time there had not been any goals, and both teams were starting to get restless. The second half began with England now shooting towards where Madelyn and her friends were sitting. It almost seemed like there was no hope when Raheem Sterling managed to send the ball into the back of the net. Sterling ran towards the crowd, meaning that the three of them were about only 5 metres away from him. The rest of the team were running up to him and hugging him, as well as encouraging the excitable fans that were right in front of them. Madelyn and Lily had been cheering and celebrating, and the trio were getting more and more excited as more players were getting closer to them. All of the fans around them were yelling the names of their favourite players trying to get their attention, as it is not every day. Declan Rice was hugging his best friend, Mason Mount who had just heard his name being called from behind him. Mason looked up sharply to see who was calling out to him, he scanned his eyes along the rows of fans quickly. His heart stopped. He locked eyes with the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. They held eye contact for what seemed like minutes, as he gave her a small smile before Declan pulled him into a group hug. All of his teammates were celebrating the goal, however his mind was elsewhere.

"Maddie, why are you blushing so much?" Lily enquired, after her friend had been silent for a minute or so.

"I think Mason Mount may have just smiled at me," the girl replied, barely containing her excitement. She didn't think too much of it as he was a famous football player and probably had hundreds of girls throwing themselves at him, and she knew that she was unlikely to ever even see him again. That didn't stop her thinking about him though and little did she know that he couldn't get her out of his head.

"Bro what are you on?" Declan asked jokingly to his best friend as Mason was explaining what he saw in the crowd.

"Mate it was like in a film or something I swear."

"Ok, but like what are you going to do now? It's not like you will ever see her again?" Declan reminded Mason, giving the boy a rather large reality check

"Shit, I just don't know what to do."