15

Mason decided to get the restaurant earlier than agreed so he could be there before Madelyn. He had never felt so nervous before a date before. There was something so mesmerising about her that he was just drawn to her. He just sat there trying to distract himself and calm down before she arrived, not taking his eyes off the door. A few minutes later she walked through the door. Mason took a deep breath as he took in how amazing she looked. She was wearing a little white dress that fitted her perfectly, with an oversized black jacket. She looked perfect. They met with a hug and Mason gave her a small kiss on her cheek, making her stomach do a flip. He pulled her chair out for her, and Madelyn thought about how much of a gentleman he was, which made her smile.

"You look so beautiful, Madelyn." Mason said, making her blush like she did when she caught him checking her out on her way in. The way that he said her name made Madelyn feel amazing.

"Thank you Mason, you don't look too bad yourself." She giggled. They ordered their food which arrived and looked incredible. It suddenly dawned on Madelyn that this must be a very expensive restaurant.

"So where are you from then?" Mason asked.

"I grew up in Suffolk in the countryside, and I do love the country, however I was always drawn to the city. That's why I decided to come to London for uni. It was a little daunting moving to such a but city when I was only 18, but I'm quite an independent person. I do English Literature and UCL if you couldn't tell."

"Wow, that's a great uni, but I'm such a footballer that I never see University College London when I see UCL, but rather Uefa Champions League." He laughed. "But I agree with you, there is just something so magical about the city that draws you in. When I moved to the Netherlands at 18 it was so scary at first, but then you get the excitement of being independent and I honestly haven't looked back since. What do you see yourself doing in the future?"

"I'm not entirely sure yet, my life goal is to publish a book, I'm not sure if it would be fiction or nonfiction, but growing up reading so many books, spending all my free time reading it would be really incredible to put my work out there for others to read." Madelyn was so glad that Mason was taking an interest in her and her future, whenever she had previously dated boys they only wanted to talk about themselves, and conversations always felt rather one sided. The conversation flowed all evening, with the perfect mixture of flirting as well as genuine and interesting chat. Mason insisted on paying for the meal despite Madelyn's offer, and also promised he would drive her home, opening the car door for her as she stepped into the passenger seat. He drove with one hand on the wheel and the other on Madelyn's thigh meaning that he had to use the palm of his hand to turn the wheel. Madelyn had never seen anything so hot in her life. There was a short pause in conversation, but the silence was comfortable, nevertheless it was broken by Mason saying,

"I was just wondering, how is a breathtakingly beautiful and extremely intelligent girl even giving me, a footballer the time of day right now. I mean you must see the tabloids and that must be enough to put you off all of us for life? Don't you think I'm not clever enough for you?" This killed Mason to say, but he knew he had to share how he was feeling as he felt he didn't deserve Madelyn. He wanted her though of course.

"Because, Mason, you seem so genuine. I have had the best evening ever with you. It's admirable how motivated, driven and passionate you are about your football. I could never do what you do. I think you're amazing Mase, oh and you're really fit. Plus all the nerds are rubbish in bed!" She laughed. The car had stopped and they were outside Madelyn's building as they had finished talking. After gaining that reassurance from her, Mason now had the confidence to do what he had wanted to do all night, leaning in for a kiss as he cupped her gorgeous face in his hands. She kissed back immediately, the butterflies in her stomach dancing and jumping, his soft and gentle touch on her face adding to her feelings of happiness.