• chapter 17 •

"Wha- WHAT WAS THAT?!"

Coach Ukai shouted at me with disbelief in his shaking eyes while I just ruffled the back of my hair.

"Well, that's one of my serves"

"One of your-!"

Coach Ukai covered his mouth in shocked of what is happening while all of my teammates especially Noya-san, Kageyama, and Tsukishima where stunned.

I looked at them in confusion as they're still not saying anything.

Did I killed them? (Hinata, nice kill!)

When all of a sudden, Coach Ukai moved from his position and started to walk towards me.

"Hinata.."

"Y-Yes Coach?!"

He stopped in front of me, had a dark expression on his face as he placed his hand on my shoulder.

"How many serves can you do?.."

"Uh.."

I glanced at Kageyama who had his eyes wide.

"Uh..maybe..6 or 7? I don't know either. I just mix things up"

I answered truthfully when I saw Coach Ukai's hands where trembling that I became alarmed and peeked at his face.

"Coach, are you okay?!"

I saw a little bit of his face when he quickly turned away while covering his face.

He is super happy and trembling in excitement.

I sighed in relief as I thought I gonna get scold for no reason when he cleared his throat and turned around.

"Can you show us all your serves?"

I looked at him for a moment when I finally got what he's trying to do.

"Oh! Of course, so the receivers can handle different types of serves right?"

I smiled at him as I immediately hurried to grab a ball to start doing my serves.

Meanwhile in Coach Ukai's mind, he really is just like an excited kid who wants to see seeing new tricks from Hinata. His intention to that at first is not for the players.

"Okay! One more!"

I shouted at them as I took my steps and did my serves.

.

.

.

Coach Ukai gave us a break as I immediately went out of the gymnasium to splash my face with cold water at the sink just near at the gym.

Splash, splash!

When I finished, I grabbed the towel on my shoulder and damped it into my face as I turned to the side when I stopped immediately as I saw a tall figure in front of me.

"Wah! You scared me!"

Kageyama just stared at me when he just walked past me and got into the sink splashing himself too with water.

I turned around to look at him then I asked him.

"Kageyama-kun, what are the things you love when playing volleyball?"

Kageyama closed the faucet and looked at me with his still wet face.

"Of course everything..."

He started to rub his face to dry it then he leaned to the sink with his back touching the edge to continue what he's saying.

"..from the smell of the gym, to the uniform, to the ball, while playing and seeing different kinds of plays.."

I smiled at his words and closed my eyes as I decided to continue what I'm doing.

"Me too, as I also love seeing different kind of players especially a certain person's face.."

He stopped looking at the sky as he turned to look at me.

"But...I know that he'll never look at me the same way I looked at him"

My head is low while saying that remembering that this is the right decision.

"Huh? What are you talking about? Is that player so good that he didn't even look at you?"

"Yeah..he's really good that I actually like him"

I sniffled as Kageyama continue asking.

"Really? What is his name? Maybe I know him"

I looked up and smiled at him with tears at the corner of my eyes.

"Yeah..his name is Kageyama Tobio"

I continue to look at him with sad and teary eyes as Kageyama's eyes went wide the moment I said it. 

He looked at me with shock on his eyes as I plan to continue what I wanted to say for a long time...

"I like you Kageyama"

"..."

Silence...for the first time that the two of us are close together, not snarling or anything...it's very awkward especially for the one who confessed.

Kageyama is staring at me with wide eyes still shocked at what I just said.

When all of a sudden, his gaze went away from me and he looked to the ground as if he's thinking of what to say.

But just for a second, he looked up again as if he's now ready to say the words he formulated in his mind.

"Sorry, but I can't return your feelings back"

He looked at me straight in the eye and has that expression on his face when he says something serious.

I took a moment to accept what he said as I gazed down to try and compose myself.

Right..that's the answer I expected already but why..

As I saw my vision becoming blurry because of the tears that is starting to form on my eyes, until every drop started to fall on the ground.

"Oi..."

I saw Kageyama starting to approach me when I reflexively move backwards then I noticed him stopping.

I sniffled as I rubbed my eyes hardly before I looked up again at Kageyama and gave him a fake smile.

"Don't worry. I respect how you feel...I just got something on my eye"

I sniffled as I said an excuse to not make him feel guilty at what he said. 

He looked at me with a frown not believing what I said.

"Don't lie to me runt. I know you're hurt, so I just wanted to make sure you're fine since I don't want this to affect our teamplay and performance at the prelims"

When he said that, I got triggered. I know he's not good with words and handling people's emotions but not right now....not now..

I placed my hand in front to stop him from approaching.

"Don't"

He flinched as I heard my voice speaking in a low and very serious voice with my head still down.

I closed my eyes gently and calmed myself before I looked up at Kageyama with sad eyes.

"Don't worry. This won't affect 'our teamplay' if that's what you're worried about. I'll still play like this never happened so rest assured"

"Hinata-"

I stepped backward and turned around not even gazing from him as I just left him in shock and walked away.

I turned to the corner when I stopped as I saw a tall blonde leaning on the wall with his hands on his pocket.

He glanced at me as he saw my eyes looking surprised for a moment but then I just blinked into sadness again that I just ignored he heard everything and continue my way back to the gym.