Smack A Super Soldier

《《 ☆ 》》

《《 ☆ 》》

Marlene has been "in the future" for nearly a week now. She, in all honesty, loved it.

She was in awe of the new technology. She loved to hear about the Civil Rights movement. She was beyond happy to see no segregated bathroom, to see that it was normal for people of all races and colors to be dining together. She nearly burst with excitement when Tony told her about a woman running a hospital. 

When Marlene learned the Peggy founded S.H.I.E.L.D. she was more than proud. She practically demanded that Tony take her to the S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters. 

Despite how much she loved the future, she couldn't sleep. Every time she slept, she dreamed about those she lost, those she left behind. Her guilt was eating her alive. 

Every time she shut her eyes, she saw Howard expressing his hatred for her after leaving him. She saw the Howling Commandos turning their backs on her. She saw Peggy finally losing her composure, screaming at her to leave. 

So . . . Marlene didn't sleep. 

She often snuck down to Tony's lab to fix his old blue sports car. It was the least she could do after everything he and Pepper have done for him. When she wasn't in the lab, she was cooking something. 

It was an old habit of Marlene, dating back to her days in London. Every time she got stressed, she'd cook something. Every time she needed to relax, she'd cook something. She'd try recipes from all over the world, she did, after all, love the different customs. It always amazed her how someone could cook the same thing, but it turns out completely different. 

She also decided that the white women on cooking shows needed to learn how to use seasonings. After following the exact recipe, Marlene would find the end product to be . . . bland. So, as a scientist, she experimented. 

When Marlene wasn't in Tony's lab or the kitchen, she was holding simple conversations with J.A.R.V.I.S., Tony's A.I. that mimicked her late friend. She'd ask the A.I. random questions, just to hear Mr. Jarvis's voice. 

That's how she learned that some mosquitos like cheese. 

Tony and Pepper were pleasantly shocked by Marlene. All the stories they heard about her, with the exceptions of a few, spoke of her fights. All the stories spoke of the speeches she gave, the people she saved, and the people she inspired. Most spoke of how badass she was. 

They didn't expect her to be so, well, they didn't expect to walk in on her sobbing over a book at four in the morning. 

"Fred died!" she sobbed, her eyes red. "I just got over Sirius's death!"

"Keep reading, blondie," Tony assured, hiding his smirk. "It gets much, much better."

So, Marlene did.