Letters From the Past

《《 ☆ 》》

《《 ☆ 》》

Marlene moved back into her manor house about a week ago. She hadn't expected it to even be standing, let alone be in perfect condition. 

On her first night after returning, she found a box sitting on her dining room table. She sat for a solid ten minutes, debating about whether or not she should open it. When she finally did, she found hundreds of letters. 

Hundreds of them. 

Most of them were from Howard and Peggy. Yet, some of them came from others; Sousa, Thompson, Mr. Jarvis, Mrs. Jarvis, Dugan, Pinkerton, Falsworth, the other Howling Commandos, and someone named Maria Stark. 

She reached for the eldest one. It was starting to have a yellowish tint to it. 

It was from Peggy, dated after Marlene's explosion. 

Dear Marlene, 

Today was perhaps the hardest day of my life thus far. One would think it was sometime during the war, maybe Steve's death. But it's not. That title belongs to today. 

It was your funeral. Everyone else left. Only Howard and myself remain, staring down at your grave. It's almost like we are expecting you to come out of nowhere, laughing at how much we cried. 

But we know it's impossible. 

You're gone, and nothing can bring you back. No amount of faith, no amount of prayers will ever bring you back. That's perhaps what hurts the most; knowing that I'll never see you again. 

I'll never hear your laugh, or see your smile. I'll never get to roll my eyes at one of your helpless jokes at the most inappropriate times. I'll never get to watch as you throw a drink in a man's face because he couldn't take "no" for an answer. I'll never get to hear your advice, your words of encouragement. 

All of this because you're gone physically, but not emotionally. You've impacted so many people, Marls. Your death shook the hundreds of nations across the globe. 

On a funnier note, Charles tried coming to your funeral. Howard threatened to sue him. I'm not entirely sure how that would work out, but Charles never came. 

I suppose that did not take away from the sadness this letter radiates. I hope that one day, I can write you another letter speaking of my happiness, my growth. 

However, I know that no matter my happiness, I will always miss you. Death doesn't remove the love you feel for someone. It simply causes pain to project a dark cloud over it. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'll never stop missing you. 

With love,

Peggy Carter

Marlene slid her fingers across her cheeks, wiping it off the liquid tears that fell from her eyes.