Chapter 28

That night,

Mew came in when Gulf was sleeping. He had been told it was not visiting time but he told them he had a business trip and he wanted to see his friend one last time before he left. Of course it was a lie but it had worked.

When he got in, Gulf was sleeping.

Queen better not be wiping me in the middle of the night, he thought when he felt someone stroke his head. However this touch was different. This touch was the touch he was longing for. The touch he was missing. When he opened his eyes, he saw it was Mew.

"Hey sleepy head," Mew softly cooed still stroking his head.

A tear ran down towards Gulf's ear.

Mew wiped it. "Why are you crying?" He asked feeling emotional too. Gulf held his hand and brought it to his lips. He cradled the hand and cried.

"I missed you." Gulf whimpered. "Why are you coming now?"

"I'm not allowed near you again." Mew whispered, his eyes red.

Gulf shook his head. "Nooo,"

"Shhhhhh,"

"P'Mew," Gulf's eyes welled with more tears as his chin trembled with the urge to burst out crying.

Mew swallowed his emotions willing the tears in his eyes to disappear. He had to be the stronger one between the two.

"Yes I'm here," Mew wiped the tears and sweat on Gulf's forehead. "I'm right here." He whispered and planted a kiss on his forehead. Gulf held the collar of his shirt and pulled him to his lips. It was a desperate kiss that lasted a few seconds.

Gulf felt like someone was choking him. Mew was here but his heart was not content. Mew was right in front of him but he felt like he was going to die.

"Please save me." Gulf sobbed. "I feel like I'm going to die please save me."

Mew understood what Gulf was saying. He understood the tears and noted when Gulf was unconsciously scratching his thigh. He understood it all.

"I'm sorry." He finally said it. The words Gulf wanted to hear from him.

"I'm sorry Nong, for everything. I'm really sorry." He earnestly apologized.

Gulf sat up and hugged Mew. He cried as if this was their last and Gulf's heart didn't want to let go. He hugged Mew tighter, desperately. He didn't want to let him go.

After a while of just embracing and staying in each other's arms, Mew came out of the hug first, "you're doing well. You'll do well." He said.

"P'Mew," Gulf was like a child crying and shaking his head.

"I'm just in your way and I don't want that. I don't like that you shed tears whenever you see me. I don't like that you feel the need to hurt yourself to stop yourself. I don't like that your mother's life is standing between our hearts.

"Phi,"

"It's ok Nong. Maybe. Just maybe. When you're done dealing with yourself. Then maybe we can be friends."

"Phiiiii,"

Mew held Gulf's hand fondly.

"Will you come to see me?" Gulf expectantly asked. 

Mew smiled. "I'll be cheering for you. Everyone is cheering for you. we're all rooting for you."

The nurse knocked, "the doctors might come for rounds soon. You need to leave soon."