Chapter 4

Nya propped her head up on her palm as she watched her sister sleeping beside her. After coming home in complete turmoil and then violently crying, Malina drifted into a somber sleep.

It was such a rarity to see her so distraught but Nya knew why. Alpha Vince was her whole heart. Anytime she was away from the pack she was with him and anyone who knew Malina knew that she wouldn't leave her pack for just anyone. She loves him so much it hurts, and now they are over. They were over because of her stupid glitches.
Lee has made too many sacrifices for her already. She shared her bedroom with her, her father with her, she fiercely fought for her. How can she now break her engagement for her too?
Nya voiced how ridiculous it was to have ended things with him, especially because of her, but Lee fought back claiming it was more than that; that he didn't care about her happiness.

It was hard to argue with that logic, but it would never sit right. She couldn't let her sister ruin her future as Luna of the Darks and mate of Alpha Vince, the love of her life.

She began planning in her mind how the night before the sixth day, she would leave in the middle of the night. She was going to write a note explaining herself, detailing to Lee that she should go on with her happiness, that her leaving was for the best. Everything would be okay. Her eyelids grew heavy as she thought about more things she wanted to say. Heavier and heavier until they shut themselves. Unknowingly she slips into a deep sleep.

Hours later she woke, but she wasn't on the bed where she was when she fell asleep. Surrounding her were thick tree trunks that had dense leaves attached that shaded the night's moon. Broad roots protruded from the wet ground and the only sounds were droplets of water falling from the weighed down branches. She lifts her leg to stand and a sharp pain strikes her. "Ow." Her right foot was broken. The metallic taste of blood filled the back of her throat as she touched her mouth and realized her lip was split open. The soft material that covered her legs was shredded at her knees which were busted and bloody, and the thin white vest that covered her chest was stained with mud and ripped, revealing the mounds of her breast, where an odd-shaped bruise was forming.

The next morning.
Vince pushes himself up from the ground and lowers himself as he did push-ups in his gym when Malina barged in. He had heard her coming a mile away. She busted open doors and stomped her feet until they were placed in front of him. Anyone else tried to do that they wouldn't get this far. "Let me guess. You were hasty?" He continues going up and down, never lifting his head to look at her. 

"Nya is gone. She was there last night but when I woke up this morning she wasn't there."

His elbows straighten and he sticks in that position momentarily. There was a twang in his gut but he pushed it aside and calmly stood up. He walks over to the weights where he picks up a bottle of water and drinks from it. His Adam's apple bobs as he takes a few gulps before setting it down. "She's doing you a favor." He wipes his mouth and gives her a once-over. She wasn't her normal put-together self. Her hair was disheveled, her clothes wrinkled, and her under eyes dark from yesterday's makeup.

She furrows her brows and puts her hands on her hips. "Doing me a favor? Her shoes are still in the apartment."

His brows knit together.

"She sleepwalks. It hasn't happened in a while but something last night must have triggered it."

He rolls his eyes. How many problems does this mutt have? His jaw clamped together in frustration so much that his next words were between his teeth. "Why are you telling me?"

"It rained last night. I lost her scent. Look," she releases a breath. "I'll do anything for my sister even if that means asking you for help."

Rolling his eyes he picks up his phone and dials Bent.
~~~

Meanwhile, Nya managed to get under a large tree. She leaned back on the trunk and got as comfortable as she could. It was a waiting game now. Either her foot heals, which would take weeks, or Malina finds her. Suddenly, a noise makes her snap her head to the left side.
Glowing eyes catch her attention in between the bushes.

She waited as It slowly neared until it turned into the form of a huge male shiny-black wolf.
"Who are you?" She didn't recognize this wolf. Could it be a member of the Darks coming to save me? Somehow the thought didn't excite her as much as it should have. She swallows as its paws keep coming towards her. Could it be a rogue member? Her breathing levels.

He reaches a mere foot from her, lowers his head, and sniffs around her broken foot. His nose wiggles, and elevates up until it reaches her face. For moments too long their eyes connected.
She didn't move a muscle as he inched closer and closer, taking in her scent.
But Instead of anything she could have expected, he licks her bloody lips.

"Hey..." she wipes it clean with the back of her hand quickly. It was too quick and too harsh as it burned at the roughness.

The black wolf takes two steps back and nonchalantly stretches out his legs before getting comfy in a dry spot near her.

She squints. "Who are you?"

He closes his eyes and his ears flop over like a puppy's.

It began to drizzle and soon it turned to rain. If there was a chance her sister would find her it was gone now. She rests her head against the tree. On some level, she didn't want to be found. Everyone was much better off without her. What did she do except being a hassle anyway? Watson was probably worried now too, and they were all going to spend their time looking for her instead of a place to go in six days. She lets out a breath and wishes to herself that she never woke up, just for a split second. She wasn't suicidal or anything but it made sense for everyone else's betterment. She was no help to her peers.

She didn't know how much time passed when the mysterious wolf's ears popped up. She immediately knew he heard something she didn't. "Lee." She whispers. He rises and darts off. "Wait.." she calls but he doesn't turn back. Now she wasn't so sure he heard anything after all.

She looks around but sees nothing. It was a minute later when she was sure she heard something. The sound was coming from behind her and she couldn't see so she tried to look. She bends her head all the way to the right and there is nothing but when she swings back the other way her vision clashes with that of  Alpha Vince. Whoa She could feel her insides trembling at the sight of his piercing glare, his grinding teeth, and his mountain-like size. Why out of all wolves did it have to be him to find her?

He raked his focus along her body, stopping at the blood on her mouth, hands, and knees.
She bows her head. Here she was in front of the strongest alpha, a defective broken mess.
A whimpering gasp escaped her lips when the heat and callus of his palms latched onto her broken ankle.
He had stooped close beside her and it was the second she felt his warmth that she realized how cold she was. So cold it almost made her yearn for his warmth.

He rolls his eyes. "It's broken."

"I'm sorry." For some reason those were her words, maybe it was the disdain in his gaze that made her say it.

He rolls his eyes again, slips his hands under her body, and with ease scoops her into his arms.

Instantly she wasn't cold anymore. His arms around her were like being wrapped in an electric blanket. She folds her hands together, shuts her eyes, and allows her head to snuggle a bit on his chest. She could feel him tense up but she didn't care, every muscle in her body gave way.

~~~~~
Hope you're enjoying 😊😊😊