Chapter 8

Nya struggled to hold Watson up. The weight of his arms around her grew heavier and heavier like a bucket being filled with water. She could barely stay standing. It was sheer will that kept her feet moving. She was unsure with each step she took if she would be able to make another but somehow they managed to make it without being sighted.
"There it-" she is unable to finish her statement when suddenly she's pushed to the ground. She looks up to see Watson on his hands and knees. His eyes glowing bright orange, sharp teeth were slicing through his gums and she could hear the sounds of bones cracking beneath his skin.

"Get out of here!" He roars.

She doesn't bother to dust her hands when she stands back up. "Come on." She grabs his arm and puts it back over her shoulders.

There was just a tint of daylight left when they finally came to a huge rock that looked as if a hole was cut out of the middle. She removes his arm and frantically tries to slide the bars open but before she could she hears him screaming in agony. She turns back just as his body was contorting and taking shape into a chocolate brown wolf. "Shit." She was out of time. Her adrenaline was going, her heart was pounding but her only fear was that now he was going to be killed.

Her back hits the bars as she watches him shake his glossy coat into a fluff and howl into the night. Then his dangerous glare shifts to her.
"Watson." As she spoke his name he sharply angled his head like he was confused or maybe curious but in a sadistic sort of way. "I know you're in there. I know you can hear me."

He takes an intentional step her way.

"I know you don't want to hurt me. She pushes down a lump in her throat. "You don't want to hurt anyone."

His head twisted to the other side.

Could he deliberately be hesitating? Maybe she could make a run for it, maybe this is what he wanted her to do...Or maybe she was getting through to him. "Watson?" Maybe he had more control than he gave himself credit for. She didn't know what she did wrong but he was done standing around. He growls, showing her his full set of teeth before leaping off the ground and charging towards her.

She closes her eyes and covers her face.
Instead of feeling him gnaw into her flesh though she hears him shriek out.
She lowers her hands. The scene her eyes landed on was one that inflates her lungs.
Alpha Vince stood before her with potent rage swarming in his eyes. His vice grip latched around Watson's throat with one hand dangling him some feet off the ground causing him to squirm around for air. "Stop... Don't..."

He makes no hesitation reaching his other hand around the killer wolf's jaw breaking his neck with one swift motion.

"No!" She screams.

He slackens his fingers, dropping him to the ground lifeless.

"Watson!" She rushes over to his unmoving body but is stopped halfway by the force of Alpha Vince's powerful grip. He grabs her upper arms and hauls her close to him. He stared at her angrily grinding on his teeth, veins protruding from his neck and temple, and a stiff jaw.
All she could think about that second was Watson. She glanced at his still form. That's when Vince applies more pressure to his grasp. He yanked her closer, demanding her attention.
It was a full moon and he was livid. That couldn't be a good combination. "Let me go please."

"You have a death wish?"

She shakes her head and a tear falls from in between her lashes.

He rolls his eyes and re-adjusts his hold. Save your tears... He's not dead."

The adrenaline she's been running on suddenly begins depleting as she breathes a sigh of relief. "He..." She wipes her eyes clear. "He's going to be okay?"

He cocks a brow as if her question annoyed him.

She sniffles and curls hair behind both ears. "He-"

She gets cut off. In the most unexpected tone, a hushed rasp, he asks. "What were you thinking?" It didn't sound like yelling or scolding; it was as if he solely wanted to know. Almost like he cared and his eyes bored into her so sharply she felt pierced. Maybe he did care; because she was important to Lee of course.

"Are you going to answer me or keep with the doe-eyed look like you don't understand English?"

She blinks. "He doesn't want to hurt anyone."

"That's not what I asked." His tone grows firmer. "You could have been killed."

She shrugs subtly. "Then I'll die. We all have to at some point. At least I won't be in anyone's way anymore."

"Is that self-pity I hear? How sad."

"I was trying to help my friend. He would do the same for me."

"Ahh... I see, forbidden love would die for each other type of thing. I still don't care."

The disdain in his eyes was uncomfortable but it made her realize that he was still holding onto her. She tugs her arms until she forces him to peel his fingers from around her. Automatically she touches the areas he held onto, she could still feel the heat from his palms like clothes that just came out of the dryer. "Are you going to kill him?"

"Are you that brittle?"

Her brows join. "What?"

He rolls his eyes and clenches his jaw. "Did I hurt you?"

"Oh." She shakes her head. "I'm fine."

"You should be."

She glances again at Watson. "Please don't kill him."

He enters his hands into his pockets. "Wolves like him can't exist anymore. If I don't, either another pack will, or the humans will. If the humans get involved there's no telling what could happen."

"He's been good all this time. He has never slipped until now. He just didn't know where to go. Plea-"

"This could easily happen again.

"I'll help him."

"How can you help him when you can't even help yourself? You don't even know where you'll be living in the next few days and neither does he."

She squeezes her eyes shut momentarily. How could she argue when that was the truth? They were in this mess because they lacked a place that could contain him. If their pack wasn't invaded none of this would be happening. "He doesn't deserve to die."

"Who does? And yet we all have to."

"We'll find a way." She touches her forehead. Things around her were beginning to move. Her adrenaline was fumes now puffing it's last bit. "Look if you could just let him live we'll leave as soon as possible. I...I'll never look back, we'll never look back... and Malina will have to stay here with you... and none of us will be a problem."

He huffs out a laugh but he wasn't amused. His eyes locked onto her with a glare of suspicion. "What so the two of you can run off into the sunset?" He makes a sudden step towards her.

She takes an instinctive step back. "No not at all I just thought..."

"You thought wrong. You're not going anywhere with him." His lips thinned. "It disgusts me that you would be so quick to leave Malina for a male when she would give up her world for you. What kind of sister are you?"

"That's exactly why I would leave her. She shouldn't be giving up her happiness because of my flaws. She should have the life she deserves with you. So if that makes me a bad sister then I'm a bad-" Oh no. She shakes her head subtly, dizziness was taking over. She was going to pass out. She could feel it coming. She didn't want to be weak in front of him again. Please God not again.

"What the hell..."

She could hear his annoyance but she couldn't fight it. Her eyes flutter as they try to stay open but it was to no avail. Things quickly go black.
~~~~~~~
Hope you're enjoying 😊😊😊
Your votes and comments are much appreciated... ❤️❤️❤️