Chapter 39

Vince had left the room for more than thirty seconds now and Nya still hadn't moved. What did she wake up to and why does her body betray her in her sleep? Her stomach felt like violent waves were crashing inside and her head throbbed with embarrassment. What has she been doing? Playing with the Alpha of the Darks? Of course, he would get fed up. It was as if she was teasing him, playing hard to get, dangling a carrot to a wolf who's been eating chocolate cake. She didn't mean to but she can't say that she has been as honest about her feelings as maybe she should have been. Maybe she should stop with the self-pity and fear of rejection. She could understand why he would think she was playing games. I'm sorry." She finally moves from her frozen position behind the desk when she hears Vince behind her. She turns around to find him with his eyes full of regret, hands in his pocket, and his feet slowly moving towards her.
"No, I should be the one apologizing." She says.

"No, you shouldn't..." She could visibly see the air release from his chest as he let out a deep breath. He rubs his jaw and shoves his hand back into his pocket trying to find the right words. "My lack of patience has nothing to do with you. I've been very frustrated and worried if I'm honest...and I've taken it out on you. You don't deserve that and I'm sorry." He lets out another deep breath. "I'm angry with myself. I've let the rogues grow unchecked for too long. This is my fault. I should have intervened a long time ago. Now we are here... with war on our doorstep. At your doorstep." He reached a couple of feet from her and stopped.

"You couldn't have known."

"I'm Alpha, it's my obligation to know. I underestimated my rival." He grinds his teeth showing irritation with himself. "I was overly confident."

She shakes her head wanting to deny what he was saying and bring forth a silver lining but none was coming to mind. "Is there anything I can do?" She thought it was such a stupid question. What could she possibly do? But there was a glimmer of something flash in his eyes.
"Honestly Ny, I don't know how the other side of all of this is going to turn out but tonight I would like to hold you and forget the world."
She didn't even have to think about her answer. "I'd like that too." It was obvious that she wanted that too. Just thinking about his arms around her had her knees weakening and sent a shooting current up her spine and back down repeatedly. She holds herself up strong, refusing to fall into a puddle so easily. That's what her body wanted to do but her mind, however, was a different story.
Their eyes locked and knowing smiles spread on both of their faces. The air suddenly grew thick and this awkward silence took over. Did she move, or did she wait for him to move? Then she didn't know where it came from but the question sprang from her vocal cords. "Do you think I'm pretty?"
He had his mouth open to say something when she cut him off with that question. He seemed taken back. "Is that how bad of a job I'm doing as a mate, that you need to ask? Of course, I do, Nya. You're beautiful."
She was hearing him but she was still so confused she didn't know what she was searching for exactly. "Like, if you hadn't imprinted on me, would you think I was beautiful?"

"I admit that you weren't my usual type, now though my type has changed. It's very singular. It's very you." She bites her cheek to keep from smiling ear to ear. Blushing was very foreign to her. She glances away having to look away from him and when she looks back his gaze intensified on her surveying the feverish glow that was appearing on her complexion.
"If it isn't obvious then I will say it with clarity so there is no misunderstanding. "You are my type, Little bird. No matter how inconvenient it was for me, you kept growing on me. Getting under my skin. I didn't want to see your beauty at first.
She bites her lips and she looks around unsurely still. "I just wonder..."

"What is it?" He ends the short distance that was between them and caresses her cheek gently. "Tell me clearly." It tingled where his hands rested. She wanted to lean into his palm, close her eyes and just forget everything, but she knew that this feeling she felt would arise again if she didn't figure it out. "I wonder... If your feelings for me are real, or..."