༒chapter eight༒

"This is a nail-biter, folks," the announcer says over the loud speakers while we're watching the tourney game. "There's forty-seven seconds left on the clock. We're all tied up. The Sherwood Falcons, two. The Fighting Knights, two. What a game between Auradon's fiercest rivals. As the teams get into their huddles and take positions along the Kill Zone."

There's a few cameras filming the game and the audience. Does there always have to be cameras here? There were a few when we arrived here too.

Half the reason I tried messing with the TV in Fish and Chips was so Uma and the others didn't have to deal with watching everything that goes on in Auradon. It's annoying, even for me.

"I still don't understand this game," Mal mutters.

"What's a Kill Zone?" Evie asks me.

I shrug. "Beats me. I'm just here for Jay and Carlos."

"The dragoneers have been lying down with withering hail of fire—and now a substitution by Coach Jenkins," the announcer continues.

"Wait," Evie says, "is Carlos going in too?"

"I think so," Mal says.

Evie turns to me and we both smile before she grabs my hand and starts bouncing up and down as we all cheer.

"And he's bringing in that hothead Jay—"

"Hothead?" I ask loudly, glaring at the speakers.

"—in from the Isle of the Lost, and that little guy Carlos who can barely hold a shield."

"Oh, that's it," I say, going to take a step to where the announcer is.

Mal and Evie both grab me before I can make it less than a foot. "Asshole!" I yell instead, but the announcer doesn't hear me.

"When they break from their huddles, this is gonna be a big moment here. And the tipoff is ready. Here we go. Long pass goes to Jay. Jay dishes off to Prince Ben. Nice little block by Carlos."

Evie and I start clapping and cheering more when Carlos dances around the guy he just blocked.

"He does a little dancing jig in the opponent's face. And now Jay gets the ball back. Here comes Jay, hurdling maneuver at mid-field. Jay makes a nice pass to Prince Ben through the Kill Zone. Big block by Chad! Prince Ben moves over wide, gives it back to Jay. He's in the clear! Oh! what a save by Philip, the Falcons' goalkeeper!"

"Fuck you, Philip!"

Mal puts her hand over my mouth before I can start cussing out this Philip anymore.

"Twenty-three seconds left. You could cut the tension with a sword. The long ball is played into Jay. Jay, great jump, great leap. And a great move by Jay. Big block from Chad. Jay dishes off to Prince Ben. And then Carlos with a big block, goes down."

"Bitch!" Mal grabs me again, shaking her head and laughing when I huff.

"Jay, through the Kill Zone, picks up Carlos. He's being hammered by dragon fire. Still going on. Jay, hurdling maneuvering at mid-field. He's in the clear! The ball goes back to Jay. He passes to Prince Ben. He scores! Prince Ben has won it!"

Evie and I start screaming while Mal covers her ears. Evie and Lonnie turn to each other and start jumping up and down. I flip the other team's bleacher off. "Suck it, Rockets!"

"Falcons," Mal corrects.

"Oh." I flip them off again. "Suck it, Falcons!"

Before the announcer can continue his announcing, Ben grabs the mic and mic stand from him. "Excuse me, can I have your attention please?"