༒chapter twenty༒

"I thought I told you to leave the hat in the room," Evie says when I stop next to her, Jay, and Carlos around everyone else

"I thought I told you to leave the hat in the room," Evie says when I stop next to her, Jay, and Carlos around everyone else. "It doesn't go with your outfit, and everyone is confused."

I shrug. "I forgot."

"No you didn't," Carlos laughs from my other side. I slap his arm and he clears his throat.

"Look," Jay says, walking around Carlos, "I'll take it off, and you can put it back on after Ben asks Mal. Deal?"

I sigh and glance around.

"Cameras are filming," Evie whispers. "We still need to keep up appearances."

I sigh and nod. As Jay starts taking off the hat I mumble, "We always have to keep up appearances."

"We're just lucky you didn't get in deep shit because someone took a picture of you when you pinned Chad on the ground," Jay says, handing me the hat before going back to his spot.

I run my hand through my hair and snicker. Carlos chuckles. "Okay, but that was funny," I say.

"It was," Carlos laughs.

I look around and take a breath in. "Holy shit," I whisper and hit Evie's arm. "Is that Audrey?"

Evie looks over at Audrey and tilts her head. "I think so. Her hair is interesting."

Instead of her normal dark hair, Audrey has a mix between dirty blonde and light brown with blue and pink streaks all over. She's standing with Chad and her grandmother. A group of some of my least favorite people. Wonderful.

Evie gasps and turns to Doug. "Here they come," she says, and Doug nods to the band, who starts playing.

Ben and Mal walk around the garden and wave to everyone before walking onto the platform in front of us. Mal goes to walk off the platform, but Fairy Godmother stops her. "Oop. Stay."

Mal takes a step back and points to the platform under her feet. "Stay here?" she asks as Fairy Godmother says, "Yes."

Mal and Ben continue to wave at people as Ben puts his arm around Mal's waist. Mal's smile drops slighting when she looks over at me, then it drops a little more when she sees the hat in my hands. But when she looks away from me, it's almost as if she never looked at me.

"Bibbity-Boppity, one, two, one, two," Fairy Godmother says, checking the microphone. "Can everybody hear me?" Everyone cheers in response. Fairy Godmother nods and smiles before handing the microphone to Ben. "Ben."

"Thank you, Fairy Godmother," Ben says, taking the mic from her. "What's up Auradon?" he asks and everyone cheers again. "Thank you. Thank you so much for coming out to welcome our new arrivals. They'll be here soon."

"Like we had a choice," I hear Audrey's grandmother mutter over the crowd. I stop my clapping and glare at her harshly. Audrey returns my glare, just not as harshly. Her mean girl glare does not compare to mine.