༒chapter twenty-two༒

"Morning

"Morning. Got the beach towels," Carlos says, walking into the room at the same time as me. He pushes the towels down in a basket. I almost run into him while I'm on my phone, but move around him just in time.

"Sorry," I mumble, going to stand on the other side of Jay.

"How do you walk in those things?" Jay asks, glancing at my platforms.

I shrug. "I lived with my dad for... uh, fifteen years. It's...uh, it's all he, uh, wears."

Evie keeps throwing apples at Jay so he can catch them and put them in a different basket.

"Hey," Carlos says, walking around the island to the other side, "I think she's gonna like the cake, you guys."

"Oh, yeah?" Jay asks as him and Evie play catch with apples.

"Oh, no," Carlos says, looking down at the cake. I furrow my brows, still going through my phone quickly. Carlos takes a few steps and throws his arms up, letting them hit his sides. "Okay. Who got into Jane's cake?"

"Don't worry, Carlos," I say, "If we can remember a spell maybe we can make a..." I trail off. Evie clears her throat. "Sorry?" I ask. "What was I talking about again?"

"Harper, what is up with you?" Evie asks. "Ever since you and Mal had that fight you've been attached to the phone like it's your lifeline."

I shrug. "Uh, don't know. Maybe the blue one? Or purple? Sorry, Evie, the colors are blurring in my...uh, my mind right...now."

Evie grabs my phone and takes it from me. I start grabbing at it. She shakes her head. "I know for a fact that you aren't talking to Harry because you never gave him a phone. And your dad is too mad to talk right now. So, what the hell are you doing?"

"Nothing," I say, going to grab it again. "I just—I need it."

"For what?" Jay asks. "How to take care of an ember and a pissed off Mal?"

I huff. "I didn't even try looking up that second part. Evie, I need to look it up. Give."

"Nope," Evie says, shaking her head.

"But—"

"Zip! Nope! I'm taking this. You aren't going to be getting it back until tomorrow. And if you're on it for longer than an hour at a time, or you start doing that trailing off thing, it gets taken away for the day. Got it?"

"Sure, Mom."

"I can't believe you just referred to me as Ursula again!"

"What was that?" Carlos asks. We all glance at the door, then to each other before we race outside.

I see Audrey before I see Mal. Her hair is different again. It's a darker brown at the roots with pink and blue all over. Her outfit is a slightly darker pink than she was wearing earlier, and she has a black cape type thing.