༒chapter twenty-four༒

"All right," Mal says as her, Celia, Carlos, Evie, Jay, and I all start walking towards the barrier. "Get in, get out."

"You guys got the ember?" Jay asks.

I nod. "Yup."

"Yeah, okay. Jay, you good?"

"Yeah," Jay says.

"Okay," Mal says. "Hold on." We stop and Jay gets out the remote. He clicks the button and the barrier makes a whooshing sound before starting to open.

Mal starts walking first, and we all follow. My body does this weird thing and my pockets start glowing a blue and a blue-purple. "Damn," I say, taking both embers out of my pockets.

"Those things pack a punch, huh?" Carlos asks.

I nod. "I think they're stronger right next to each other."

Mal grabs Dad's from me. I shove mine in my pocket before I go to grab it from her.

Before I can get it, we hear something tumble behind us and we all turn around quickly.

Gil and Harry stand up and look around before looking at each other.

"We made it," Gil says as Harry says, "Bro," and Gil says, "We made it," again. They both jump up and hug each other enthusiastically before separating and turning to us.

"Hey, guys," Harry says, "we're just coming for a wee visit."

They both start walking forwards before being pushed back by Jay and Carlos. Harry pushes Carlos, whose arm goes back and hits the ember out of Mal's hand.

"Come on," Mal groans, going to grab it quickly. "Hey. Hey."

I sigh and cross my arms. "See, this is why Dad gave it to me and not you."

As Mall grabs it, Harry grabs her wrist with his hook and moves it quickly. Mal releases Dad's ember and it flies over the bridge and starts falling into the water.

I go over and push them apart, putting my hands on the back of my neck. "Dumbasses," I mutter.

Before the ember can hit the water, a tentacle comes up and grabs it. Harry start laughing as Jay and Carlos push him and Gil out of the way.

I turn to Harry and shove him backwards. My hair flames and my eyes glow. "You fucking asshole!"

He puts his arms up in defense when I push him backwards. When I go to do it again, he grabs my arm and wraps me in a tight arm hug.

"Sometimes you're almost as scary as your father," he says, smirking. "Kinda hot."

"I will fuck you up, you little punk ass hoe bitch."

Uma comes out of the water and shakes her head, showing the ember. "Drop something?" she asks.

I sigh and relax into Harry as he smiles. Mal puts her arm out. "It can't get wet. Give it back before it goes out."

Uma laughs at her.

"Uma?" Harry, Gil, and I all ask at the same time.

"That's my name," Uma says, smiling. "Hey, sis." She waves at us.

The three of us share a look.

"K, Uma, that thing can't get wet," I say as Harry tightens his arm around me. "One, I really need that. And two, Dad'll get super pissed if it goes out."

She smiles before going back into the water. "No!" Mal shouts, and the water starts to rise in an upside-down whirlpool. It explodes and we all duck a little before looking over the edge for Uma.