༒chapter twenty-eight༒

"She's slipping away," Evie says, holding onto a sleeping-Audrey's hand

"She's slipping away," Evie says, holding onto a sleeping-Audrey's hand. Mal sighs and puts her head on the side of Audrey's mattress.

Ben is pacing behind Uma, who's standing at the end of Audrey's bed. Jay's at the fireplace looking at all the pictures. Celia is at the bay window with a pillow in her lap as she stares at Audrey. Carlos is in a chair near Celia. Harry and I are sitting next to each other on one of the couches, my head resting on his shoulder while he grasps my hand.

"There's only one person in the world who might be able to do something about this," Mal says.

"Who?" Evie asks.

"My father," I say semi-loudly.

"Hades?" Ben asks. "He wouldn't do it. And I wouldn't risk it."

"He'd do it for Mal and me," I say.

"He's our father," Mal says.

"Yeah, think about that next time you bad mouth him when I'm not around and you think I won't find out," I say as the people who didn't know look at each other with an 'oh shit' look on their faces. Harry smiles and shakes his head.

"Okay," Ben says quietly. "We'll have to send guards to get him."

"I can give him a heads up," I say, earning a weird look from Ben. Carlos and Jay start walking over to the others.

"Maybe I can hitch a ride," Uma says.

"What?" I ask, moving my head off Harry. "You guys aren't staying?"

"The Isle is my home," Uma says. "Someone needs to be there to protect it."

Harry gets up, walking with me to the others. "Well, then, you'll need your first mate." He pats her shoulder with his free hand.

"If you guys are going back, so am I," I say.

Harry clicks his tongue and shakes his head. "No, you're not. You're going to stay here in this preppy place. You aren't going back to the Isle because of us."

"'Us'? You're my sister and—I don't know what we are but you know what I mean."

"I'm not arguing with you on this," Harry says, shaking his head.

"The Isle will be in very good hands," Mal says.

"Can I go too?" Celia asks, standing up. "I wish I can be in both places."

"We have family over there," I say. "I want to be able to see my dad daily. I don't want the last time I saw him to be the last time I ever see him."

Mal stands up. "I really think that Evie was right. And I do think that we could've been friends. And I'm really sorry that I lied to all of you guys. You deserve so much better than that."

"You were just trying to do the right thing," Jay says.

"Yeah," Uma agrees.

Harry sighs and stands behind me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders.